SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's talk "Content Management Systems"

I was looking at the CMS offered at http://www.interactivetools.com/products/cmsbuilder/ to learn more about it.

Basically, I'd like to be able to offer webhosting clients a way for them to do their own text updates after I design, publish, and host their site.

The only problem is these guys want a $199 license fee PER WEBSITE!

There's gotta be a program that's available where you can use it on unlimited websites.

Does anyone know where I can find an unlimited use CMS program?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are tons of free CMS's out there. Joomla is the first that comes to mind.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WordPress is great too - you can produce some quite complex stuff with it so it's not just for the simple sites. Plus it has the advantage of producing pretty good markup from scratch and crowbarring an existing static site into a WordPress one is usually fairly easy.

If you're looking for something simpler then there's always Snippetmaster. It's not as tidy as a proper CMS but it might do in certain situations.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    opensourcecms is a good place to look around for some open source ones. You can practice using and administering them to see if you like them.
    http://www.glasys.co.uk
    Noli Illegitimi Carborundum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm going to want to build the site to suite my customer's needs and wants.

So, I just need a way to allow the customer to login and access specific text areas so they can do their own text updates.

I saw a nice looking CMS program at:
    http://www.SnippetMaster.com

Anybody ever try this one?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KM Richards View Post
    I saw a nice looking CMS program at:
    http://www.SnippetMaster.com

Anybody ever try this one?
    Not that one but I have used www.editwrx.com on occasions which is similar and they do a developers licence which is really good value. The only downsides is that it only works in IE and has a validation issue with it's editable area tag. Saying they the next version will be cross browser and product 100% valid code.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been looking for a simple CMS too. SnippetMaster seems to be pretty simple but does it have database functions? I want the CMS to be able to access and create database entries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use WordPress. You could call me a WordPress fanatic, but I definitely recommend it. It's free, it's powerful, and it's easy to use. There are a lot of themes available, and it's easy to make your own (I do it all the time). There are zillions of plugins (which I'm not going to say are easy to make, but aren't too hard either, but you need to be good with PHP) which offer plenty of add-on features and modifications. You can Digg-Proof your site with the WP Super Cache plugin, add TinyURL-like redirection systems with the GoCodes plugin, prevent spam comments with Akismet, etc. I highly recommend WordPress for your CMS needs. It can do virtually anything if you put your mid to it,and you can't beat the price.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've wrote a CMS framework when I was younger (4 years ago) and I have been modifying/upgrading it and using it for client's projects ever since. I have tried giving all of these big open source CMS's a shot but I just find them really bloated and they are so modular/customizable that they are just overwhelming to anyone but an expert with the system. I know they are really powerful but sometimes something simpler just does the job better, especially when your client doesn't know much about computers.
    Brock Ferguson
    Lead Developer, Caribou CMS
    A Subscription/Membership CMS and Ecommerce Platform - FREE Trial

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Editwrx seems like a nice solution and you may also want to look at http://www.easysiteedit.com. Also, if you have any say in the hosting they're using, cPanel has a built in wysiwyg editor that should work for simple text and photo edits.

Steve

SitePoint Member outsourcingcheck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    drupal and wordpress are good ones.. But prefer wordpress

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snippet master does require a DB if I remember rightly. But it can't create or delete pages - just edit existing ones.

It's not perfect - in particular if you use CSS layouts (as you should) you have to be careful where you place the editable area tags as otherwise the client is faced with a really odd looking WYSIWYG area.

That said - it's not bad for simple stuff.

Personally I prefer WordPress - much more flexibility.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use joomla for 2 sites and wordpress for another (a blog). I like both but I think joomla is more suited to larger sites. There are quite a few available extensions which can be used to build your site. The templates, both free and commercial are well designed as well.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also Typo3 and website baker are nice options. Website baker is may more easy to work with, but Typo3 more powerfull. For simple blogs will be worpress a nice option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joomla is used to create a dynamic, complex site while wp is more on the blogging side...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're looking for a simple, easy to use and customizable free cms then try www.websitebaker.org. I build all my sites using them and it's an absolute breeze. SOme good add on mods too.

Konrad

SitePoint Zealot OrangeCreative's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a huge fan of Jommla! ever since I've first used it. If there is one feature I should pick as my favorite it would definitly be the possiility to edit the page content from the front-end (but you can do the same thing on the admin area as well).

I keep reading that WP is a great option but in my opinion there is no real reason in forcing it to work as a CMS. It's great for blogs, though!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my own super easy CMS for text changes. Just to tweak up a thing or two and it goes out for free for everyone. Stay tuned