SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Editting Remote MySQL database with putty

Ok, I am trying to edit a remote MySQL database located at ionichost.com. Now, I managed to connect to my ftp (ftp.ionichost.com), but keep getting kicked off every once in a while (the putty window closes completely). Also, the text that I enter in my telnet window (other program) does not appear.

1. How do I connect to my MySQL DB through putty?
    2. How do I edit it (tutorial?)?
    3. How do I get my telnet text to appear in the window? I managed to connect using the options, but can't type!

Oops, wrong forum. Seem to be unable to delete, too. Anyway, if this post really doesn't fit here, just move it to the programming forum about databases.
    Last edited by Battery_Acid; Mar 19, 2002 at 17:24.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're better off using SSH (assuming you have shell access [otherwise you'll never connect!]) -- you can still use putty, it's just port 23 not 21 (or the other way around) and is *basically* the same as Telnet.

It is fairly simple... enter the address of the server connect to, it should prompt you to login and you can work away...

What is it you want to do to your database?

(point 3. sounds like you maybe didn't connect?).

I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <<off-topic>>putty has SSH too... both SSH1 and SSH2... i use it for SourceForge and it's quite good IMHO... SSH's just a little to big for me to download

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by redemption
    <<off-topic>>putty has SSH too... both SSH1 and SSH2... i use it for SourceForge and it's quite good IMHO... SSH's just a little to big for me to download
    Whats your point? That's what I said!!

you can still use putty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think SSH is on port 22
    PHP-Webservices - Profesional Hosting and Programming of sites.

purple monkey dishwasher scoates's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, 23 is Telnet, 22 is SSH. 21 is FTP.

/etc/services (excerpt)
    Code:
    ftp-data        20/tcp
    ftp             21/tcp
    fsp             21/udp          fspd
    ssh             22/tcp                          # SSH Remote Login Protocol
    ssh             22/udp                          # SSH Remote Login Protocol
    telnet          23/tcp
    # 24 - private
    smtp            25/tcp          mail
    S

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I am trying to do is use PenguiNet (Telnet and SSH shareware program) to edit my database. If I try to connect on port 22 or 23, I either get disconnected right away or receive a "sorry, you can't connect here" message from ionichost. The only address I can connect to is ftp.ionichost.com over port 21. If I connect using Telnet, it works fine (I think, extremely long wait time, poor response time). But, if I connect to port 21 with SSH, it gives me a "SSH not enabled" alert. All I need right now is a way to delete my Database, and a tool to use later in order to view/edit my DB. I WOULD be using phpMyAdmin if it didn't spit out 10 "header already created" errors on the first page... Otherwise, my Database seems to work fine, I installed phpBB without problems, I think.

Answers? Maybe another way to edit/view DB?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it sounds like you don't have SSH enabled. Contact your host and ask them to enable it (if they will). Failing that who installed phpmyadmin? If it is them, I would whinge at them to get it fixed.

Assuming you have full access you could just create a PHP script that drops the database for you...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed phpMyAdmin. When I used their server a LONG time ago, phpMyAdmin, which I installed, worked fine. Now, it doesn't. I get about 10 errors (see above). Anyway, the last time I checked, their forum (help forum) spit out some strange error on MySQL, and didn't work. Now, it does work (last message was posted January, this year, which tells me forum was broken for a long time), but when I click on reply or post new, it tells me that this feature was temporarily disabled. I tried asking them about it, but their humanoid-robot-support told me the same thing, that they don't provide this type of support on the free service. Anyway, on January, people were posting a lot saying that MySQL so slow that it is unusable (check their forum at http://www.coolfreepages.com/board/ for more info). I doubt they will even consider SSH...

Anyway, you can register a free account and see http://www.ionichost.com
    Oh, and their "it will be created in 5 minutes" message is not true, at least not for me. Took me about 4+ hours to receive a confirmation message. Well, just try it, and register one account at coolfreepages and one at a .ionichost subdomain to see if it's just something with ionichost. Any help would be appreciated.

And what about F2S? Do they provide free subdomain hosting? If yes, where do I register? Know any other files I can upload or use on my computer to edit DB? Maybe a script? Any other good hosting with MySQL and PHP? Maybe just a PHP provider with no MySQL? Or maybe just a MySQL Database holder? Please HELP!!!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Battery_Acid

And what about F2S? Do they provide free subdomain hosting? If yes, where do I register? Know any other files I can upload or use on my computer to edit DB? Maybe a script? Any other good hosting with MySQL and PHP? Maybe just a PHP provider with no MySQL? Or maybe just a MySQL Database holder? Please HELP!!!
    f2s closed it's free hosting on Feb 28... there're no other good sites that i know of... you may want to take a look in the free hosting forum... there's a thread with some php/mysql hosts