SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast arthurakay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new weightlifting blog needs feedback

I recently started a new blog, and I'm getting stuck on my layout. I'd love some feedback from everyone on how it looks.

http://weightlifting-routines.blogspot.com/

I've only had the blog up a few days, so I'm going to be adding content every few days. I'm just not super happy with my layout, but I can't decide where I can add some spice.

Thanks in advance!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your google ads are knocking the whole site out of alignment in firefox.

The second thing I would change is that logo. I think it looks a bit like word art that I used from Microsoft Office. Fix those two things and you'll have a huge improvement.
    Online Marketing is fun.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've attached an image of the error that I was mentioning in my previous response. I'm currently running: firefox 2.0.0.12 on windows xp sp2. Hope that information helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Online Marketing is fun.

SitePoint Enthusiast arthurakay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh wow... i was doing some work with FeedBurner earlier, adding the RSS widget near the top. I think that's what did it. I hadn't checked it in Fx after adding it, so thanks for pointing that out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not sure if blogger.com offers any free themes, but maybe try to find some, or at least try to put up a background or some sort of graphics that split up the content a bit, my eye tended to wander off the sides of the posts.

That dark red that your using is a little strong for a white background, maybe soften up the background to a light pastel color.

it looks good though, I dig the content... good luck with your fitness goals.
    Fragware - Hardcore PC Gaming and Modding
    SharkFOO
    - Spur Website Growth and Popularity
    Site5.com - Best Web Host on the Planet.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite good overall, as you said - it just needs a little spice. I would try adding some cool pics - you could use istockphoto to source relevant stock photography for your website.

You could also get some more contrast by adding a background colour to the website - but keep the main website frame background white (i.e. you just want to add some color to the left and right outer margins).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything is kind of just "thrown" together. And I'm going to assume you didn't first design the site in photoshop in its entirety before going the HTML route?

I highly suggest doing that, as it's the professional standard to do so, and for a good reason. When you can see exactly what the site will look like before you port it to HTML, you can easily tinker with it. It's efficient that way..

But to speak on your layout as is for now.. The box at the top with the dropshadow needs to go, or at least be changed.. How about instead, make it a solid very light gray (better yet, a very light gradient of light gray to white), and give the text that exists within it a lot more padding..

The main content area needs more separation amongst the different pieces of "content". It seems "smashed" because there isn't much separation. Try a smaller font size (no lower than 11px), and giving things more space.
    Design like a pro. - Full design videos, real projects.
    Pro logo design (8 yrs. experience, check em' out).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurakay View Post
    I'm just not super happy with my layout, but I can't decide where I can add some spice.
    Layout is fine as it is. What do you want to add spice for? are your visitors looking for spice? Bet they're not.
    Charles Sweeney
    FormToEmail.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your layout is fine, I think adding content is more important than than adding spice right now.
    Interesting Soccer Analysis on SoccerNet Live

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the white background is a little bright. Maybe try a small pattern or different shade of white. The red and green combination looks a little too much like christmas. I might change that a bit.

I like the placements of the google ads below each post, however a break line between the ads and the labels would help.

Good content so far!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need some separation or integration between the posts and the google ads, the color schemes dont match up very well and thus makes it look like an ad site.
    But i am a fan of weightlifting, I run a webpage on various aspects of health fitness etc and with that said your content is good!

another suggestion would be to use a dark background, keep it tough to match the subject material.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

Just took a look at your site. You need some seperation, for example, the right colum, put it in a different color, a lit grey tint would do ok.

What the width of your workspace? make it a big wider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need some structure to your page. The content looks good but it's all about layout. Your info about your blog is great, it lets people know what you're all about, but it's pushing down your valuable content.

Try moving this information to the top of your sidebar (definitely above your ads) and then shift your posts up. Also try to give your side column a faint background or something and content styling your posts to have some more structure (theres too much openness right now).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello arthurakay,

i took a look at your site and my first impressions is good I like simple and clear design. May be you can add one more color or little borders to fill more design, also to concentrate your visitors attentions
    Like as someone above wrote, i also think that you may show more functionality on your blog. Like post's titles, tags, category on your header
    Good luck
    How to boost your site trafic ?
    Page rss reader - forex charts -

SitePoint Enthusiast TannerCreative's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For this type of a website, I would consider a few things:

1 - more color and i would make it 100% width
    2 - adding pictures would help
    3 - take a look at bodybuilding.com - they are highly successful. While I would never recommend ripping off a site, I think you can zero in on some of the things they are doing.

Great site!
    web design in houston
    Member of the BBB serving all of America!
    www.TannerCreative.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could use a better logo. Too plain.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there - I would add some pics and make the title more interesting.

I didn't like the fact you had to scroll down quite far to see the blog info (which Idid find quite interesting).

HTH

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dislike the drop shadow on the logo. I don't understand why you've placed "Weight training and workout routines." above your logo.

The left side padding is to tight on this boxed paragraph,
    "A blog dedicated to weightlifting and workout routines. Find information on weight training, workout routines, building muscle, exercise programs, weightlifting, weight lifting, and other training programs."

The ads by google in the larger column are far too glaringly prominent.

About Me should come before the ad section. I would like it if about me actually told me something about you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is great content wise, but it needs some image help.
    Bodybuilding is a vain sport (not being derogatory), my best friend has been competing for 15 years, so I am well aware of the industry. People involved are into the physical form, adding the images will spark the blog up a little and provide some eye candy for the readers.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems a little t white, but other than that it looks ok.
    Id place a dropshadow to contain the pages content so it could be easily differentiated from the background.
    Also, choose a simple color scheme and apply it so the site doesnt seem so boring like a white paper
    "Oh, and Jenkins--apparently your mother died this morning."

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't change too much it's great, maybe a few pics, you have good content, nice and crisp looking site. Well done I like it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks alright. I would get rid of the AdSense adds.