SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Improvements!!!. Kindly, I need indepth critique.

Hi,

Our web store DesertStore.com is specialized in selling Middle Eastern products. We sell worldwide, but mainly to American Muslims till we made some (improvements) to increase our conversion rate!!. What was supposed to be improvements to our shopping cart and product pages resulted in a drop in our sales to the US.

What is wrong we have done that made our US visitors stopped buying? this is driving me crazy and I am seeking your help to find the answer.

I appreciate it.
    Last edited by aiesh; Feb 26, 2008 at 11:40. Reason: Modyfing the title

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the obvious answer is what did you "improve" and undo it to see if that indeed was the issue. The only thing that bothered me was the lack of clear shipping rates to the US. I'd be concerned about filling up my cart only to find out that it's 50 dollars to ship.

Sweet baby on the front page though!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynthiab View Post
    Well, the obvious answer is what did you "improve" and undo it to see if that indeed was the issue.
    I wish we could do that, because we have done many changes and it is impossible to undo all of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Re: Improvements

What a pity you did so many changes that you don't know what to undo. Do you have google analytics? If it is a traffic issue perhaps analysing the stats might help I think the little one is cute too
    Cheers
    Viv

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a few suggestions:

First I would remove the image on the right that lists the reasons that someone should purchase from you. I think that some seals and things of that nature may improve a users trustworthiness of your site, but more often than not I think design plays the most important role.

Secondly, once the picture on the right is removed, I would expand the lifestyle image that you have in the middle of the page, and I would replace it with one that makes more sense for your business. As soon as I see that image I think that you're either a daycare facility or that you're selling childrens clothes only. Maybe a shot of multiple individuals looking through a variety of your finest wares with smiles on their faces would be more effective.

The explanation that falls below the fold is also extremely important.

"DesertStore.com is one of the first e-commerce websites specialized in Islamic clothing and products from the Middle East. DesertStore.com has the biggest collection of Muslim clothing over the Internet. Highly trusted by customers around the world since 1999."

I would find a way to shorten that into a better tagline that you can use underneath your logo, other than "Bringing Arabia to the World". Something more clear and concise like "The biggest collection of Muslim clothing on the net" would seem to be more effective in immediately getting the point across to your potential customers.
    Online Marketing is fun.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first impression is that your website looks like a legitimate store from the index page.

I agree with the previous poster about removing the "Why Choose This Store" image. Your website is a place that someone reached through a specific search or link. This is not like a mall where you have many stores to choose from, they chose to come and are already at your website. You can replace this section with a list of useful things or promotions that you're having. Or show the latest/most most popular/on sale items. These are always good because people like to buy what others buy & find to be good.

I don't know what changes were made to the product pages, but the first thing is: the main category pages show no prices. If I was so rich that money was no object, I wouldn't care. But I think most people would like to consider the look (from the thumbnail) and the price. Check Macys.com to see how they do this.

As for the individual product pages, I would have a big header with the product's name. Then pricing information + what types of models are available (ie products available in different colors/styles). Then the product image followed by the description. You could also perhaps place a light background box around the order section, to make it stand out. The way it is right now, the prices/models/ordering section isn't very prominent.

Anyway, just check out some of the major online stores and do what they do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I went through your store and overall it looks fine to me. It is well organized and easy to navigate (the most important things!)
    But I have some points though:
    The customers would prefer to see prices first of all, so to my mind it would be better to add prices below each thumbnail of the products.

On the page http://www.desertstore.com/products-...abaya-304.html you have a Grammar mistake in the description of the product: " This simple abaya has a nice trimming on the sleeve edges and it also have designs on both sides of the abaya." - has should be instead of have.

Good luck!
    If you want to do something right, do it yourself!