Thread: page design

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

page design

Hi,

I've been working on this design for an e-commerce site for a while now and cannot decide if it's any good anymore. I'm worried the leaf effect id overdone. Obviously this is only a rough mock up of the page and i've also oncluded what the men's department would look like. opinions?

[img=http://img409.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2uq7.jpg]
    Last edited by elduderino; Feb 25, 2008 at 14:17.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That flashing ad up top is a killer. Run run run, is all I can think to do… Is that just part of your free hosting?

The picture of the lady is a funny montage, things do not sit right with her. Her head is too large for her body, you disguised the neck with a pile of hair, but you could not disguise the direction of the neck that is implicit. It looks like her neck sits on her shoulder. She also has one large breast and none on the other side. Very strange indeed.

The leaves are fine.

I would fix her or get a complete picture of a lady to exchange what you have there right now, then let us look at it again
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Firstly, the image hasn't been manipulated whatsoever!...i purchased it from Istockphoto yesterday.I haven't manipulated the size of the head, the size of the breasts, nor used hair to disguise anything i've changed. I'm a programmer, not a professional graphic designer. The things you have suggested i've done, i'm just simply not capable of. I think the pose shes pulling is putting her weight on her left side, making her left breast look bigger. Theres a whole series of this model in this location by the photographer Kevinruss...they're all very natural photos....and certainly not alterted by him. If her head is a too big for her body or the angle of her head is weird then thats her problem I think it's a great image.

I have some experience in manipulating images but to do something like you have suggested i've done, as seamlessly as that is beyond me! The only thing i did to this one was make the background wider...notice the two identical trees in the background??

Secondly, the ad is part of the page that i hosted the image on....www.imageshack.us. It allows me to post a link to an image here without waiting for the sitepoint forum moderator to approve my image, or uploading it to my dedicated host and linking to one of my personal sites. The bit i'd like comments on is in the white panel only.
    Last edited by elduderino; Feb 26, 2008 at 06:24.

SitePoint Enthusiast InfodoroShopping's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Could work well with minor edits and updates

I go with the feedback on the "Lady's image". Proportion it to fit with the body index. As for Men's Image, why is it gloomy?

If you are trying to sell a product, bring it to life with expressions of "Fun, excitement and Happiness". You necessarily need not pick up an image from the web, rather click one from your friends and acquaintances who are amazed at the idea of shopping. I think, people love to go for shopping......at least I do.

As far as the leaf effect is concerned, I think its good enough and stands differentiated, if you mellow the shades with "bright & happy" colors. Better if, you can cull out an image with a group of guys, if that happens to be your target market.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if the photo was the way you say it was, then you made a bad choice. By picking this image you endorsed it. Get rid of it, it is bad.
    Ulrike

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    her head is too large for her body

you disguised the neck with a pile of hair
    Proportion it to fit with the body index
    haha how bizarre! Really strange comments...

She's pulling a pose....i can push my head of centre like that and i'm a ( not particularly limber) male. You've obviously looked at this picture in a very different way than me, the photographer and the approval team at istock.

infordoshopping, yes i agree the image for the mens depo does have a bit of a gloomy mood, i've found another now which is nice and summery.

Does anyone have any comments about the design in gerneral, not related to the patchwork woman with a crooked neck

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought we were in the review and critique section. Ok, whatever, good luck -----
    Ulrike

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the design is pretty nice so far. I just wanted to comment on the word 'depo', it should be spelt 'depot'.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha Yes good point! Duh what was i thinking

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ye i like its a nice design you done a good job
    my portfolio.. www.timothyblake.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also like your design. I can not see killer flash on image but sure it is cool.
    I am wondering what will happen if you resize your header to screen width.
    Regards and post message here when you are ready with site
    I will glad to see how it work
    Good job.
    How to boost your site trafic ?
    Page rss reader - forex charts -

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not a bad design. it is hard trying to find the right picture, and when you do make sure you get full rights to it. my partner and i just bought full rights to the picture lavalife uses heh, about to send them a COD letter soon just to stir the pot

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

Pagerss: The implementation of the design is fixed in width so the header stays as it is no matter what width the viewport.

Fragreel: I purchased the images from istockphoto so yeah i have premission to use it.

Thanks again

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the Main Content on this site, but the menu and header just miss something, maybe adding some nice details in a fancy color will fix it, also a logo would really help here.

(a bit late with reacting on this one but I'm working on a new design for my clothing shop at the moment so wanted to share my idea's anyway )

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well layout is pretty much standard, and by looking at menus seems easy enough to use (good). however i reckon irts too black/white and some color in addition to photo wuould be nice, maybe currently selecrted menu would be highlited in light blue, maybe some glossy effect would help. also i didnt spot any breadcrumbs as these might be useful from time to time. hope it helps.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it overall, quite good, if it were my own design, things I would change would be font choice on navigation, and perhaps spicen up search button.