User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you charging for additional comps or revisions

Hi, we're currently charging per hour for our services. This includes a single comp. Any revisions necessary continue to get charged at our standard hourly rate. I've recently had someone call this into question, so I'm wondering how others are handling revisions.

My theory has been, my time is worth x per hour and we agreed on such when entering into a business agreement, why should i offer revisions for free?

Into another Dimension liam_uk7's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were paying per-project then I think you could include a number of free revisions with the price. - But if you (as you are) charging hourly then I see no reason why you shouldn' charge for your revisions.

I work per-project, but if I was working hourly this is exactly what I would expect, especially if the revisions are as a result of them changing their mind, or giving you wrong information.

I say stick to what your doing!
    Function - Great Design Meets Great Functionality

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether you charge hourly or project based, I recommend you initially propose that the client gets x number of concepts and x revisions of the chosen concept. Anything beyond that is charged at your usual fees (hourly rate or a fixed fee per revision/concept etc).

I stick to one concept, two revisions. Really don't want to drag out the design process.

The key is to have the client complete a need analysis that asks careful questions about the design they require - then if you create a design to that exact spec, they can't argue that they somehow deserve free revisions just because they didn't really like what you created.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I agree with Shadowbox. Whenever I see a question like this, I can't help but wonder, "What did you agree to in your contract?"

Getting the details down before you start the project is essential to forming a good relationship with your client and to the success of the project.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless of your initial agreement (per hour) you should provide free bug fixes/security patches. New design/functions, requested after you have agreed to take the project - charged based on your hourly rate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I provide nothing for free and charge for everything regardless of how miniscule.

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jt_va View Post
    I provide nothing for free and charge for everything regardless of how miniscule.
    Exactly.

It infuriates me when clients "push the friendship" by requesting changes for FREE. I get this TIME and TIME again.

Whats with that?????

You WOULDNT take your car to the mechanic and ask, "Oh, its just a quick service, surely you can just do it while I wait for free? - should only take a minute yeh?"

You wouldnt call a plumber to your house and ask him to work for FREE.
    You wouldnt get a haircut and ask for it for FREE.
    You wouldnt ask a lawyer to work for FREE.

Ive said this before and I stand by it. For us developers to be taken seriously in this industry we need to be professional and CHARGE for our time accordingly.

RJ