SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you know whether your venture WILL be commercially successful?

How do you know whether your site will be a success?

For example, I have a web application planned which is unique and will involve unique features but is this enough to know that if I execute the project correctly, it will be fairly successful?

Or is this all just down to luck and chance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luck and chance can turn into certainty with the proper marketing

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good timing.

I too have something planned to start developing within the next few months. I guess it comes down to demand, and as already said, the right marketing. Ive been developing web apps, intranets, and websites now for seven years, and my attitude has always been the same. Sometimes 'ideas' work out, sometimes they dont, but as the cliche goes, you'll never know if you dont try.

I think the bottom line really is persistance, hard work, dedication and determination.

Dont be discouraged if it fails and you dont make any money. Worst case scenario - you learn something. Take that, learn from it and move ahead.

RJ

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post
    Good timing.

I too have something planned to start developing within the next few months. I guess it comes down to demand, and as already said, the right marketing. Ive been developing web apps, intranets, and websites now for seven years, and my attitude has always been the same. Sometimes 'ideas' work out, sometimes they dont, but as the cliche goes, you'll never know if you dont try.

I think the bottom line really is persistance, hard work, dedication and determination.

Dont be discouraged if it fails and you dont make any money. Worst case scenario - you learn something. Take that, learn from it and move ahead.

RJ
    I agree. Even if what I'm building isn't a commercial success, it won't dishearten me. The project will still teach me a lot about the technologies I'm using (.NET 3.5).

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is no shortage of good ideas that COULD be successful. I believe the level of success is more related to the team you build, and the will to see it through.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being successful is certainly something that happens in large part because of the value of the idea, the team, effort involved and other factors within your control. However, there's also a lot to be said for being in the right place at the right time and sometimes you end up in the wrong place or at the wrong time. A billion features, a million uses and the coolest tool ever doesn't matter if people stop using that type of tool.

Your role as a founder/principle for any organization is to try and read the market to insure you are in the right position. But markets change and the future isn't a sure thing so at the end of the day... if you have a solid plan, good research & insights and execute properly you've done your part as best you can.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good posts.

I read a lot of blogs, but what good ones are there for Web 2.0 startup news? This would be an important tool in reading the market, as one poster said.
    Last edited by -Blade-; Feb 21, 2008 at 06:08.

SitePoint Zealot phppoddotcom77's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard work, good planning and a little chance is needed for success.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blade,

There's loads of them out there. A few of my favorites:

http://www.alleyinsider.com/

http://www.thealarmclock.com/mt/

http://venturebeat.com/
    - Ted S

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think many sites or businesses that fail do so because they develop something THEY think is great, but they fail to research to see if OTHERS are willing to use it or pay for it.

However, even a good product with millions of dollars in R&D behind it can fail, and I think most companies have far more failures than they do successes - but one great success can make up for lots of failures.

NEW Coke anyone?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can never be sure of success - only minimise the risks of failure.
    George Skee
    Follow me at GeorgeSkee.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -Blade- View Post
    How do you know whether your venture WILL be commercially successful?
    Oh, that's easy...

1) You jump in, start doing the business, try to be smart about running it efficiently, and after a while...you'll find out if your venture commercially successful.

2) Another option would be to invent the time machine, rush into the future and see how you do.

3) Since time machine not available yet, please see option #1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no way you can tell in advance if it'll be successful or not. It could be sucessful and popular and not be financially viable or not that popular but making enough to sail by.

You got to push your ideas and see what happens, if that don't work, improve your product or try again with another idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If all else fails, there's always welfare!