SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need suggestion on easy to template cms system

i am a designer, not a developer... so i am looking for a cms system that is very easy to template. something that i can create the template in photoshop and then code the html in dreamweaver and somehow add the fields of where the actual content will show up. i am not sure if that is clear, but i am very new to cms systems and i am not really sure how they all work.

the sites are going to be used for clients who i will be making the web site design and they can use the built in wysiwyg editor to add/edit thier content.

the abilty to add modules/add ons is a plus.

also, if at all possible, the cms system should be free (open source) and the ability to not have the "powered by..." viewable to the public, no problem adding that as a comment, but most clients dont like to have all that extra text on the bottom.

thanks in advanced for your help.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress is popular but I don't know about the legalities of removing the copyright statements - most free/os scripts require such things, but hey they are free!

Expressionengine has a very flexible templating system and you don't need to keep copyright notices on your pages. Templates are pure xhtml/css with it's own tagging system so you can design your way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just released a themer kit for WordPress. It allows you to work in dreamweaver or similar html/css editor. Check out my sig for the link and don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions about it. Currently it's in beta but I've created several themes with it and it works fine.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the info.

i thought wordpress was more like a blogging tool? i am not too familair with wordpress so i could be wrong?

i was looking more along the lines of building the page for the client (dynamically) and the client can update the page via admin control panel (so it is easier for them).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well WordPress is more like a light CMS. A lot of people use it for blogging but it works well for regular websites too.

I'm not really sure what you mean by build the page dynamically.......but the client could easily update and modify pages using WordPress, it's pretty versatile.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats what i meant, but i didnt word that out correctly.

i am going to look into word press further. thats what i am looking for, something light and easy to template.

thanks,

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like using wordpress myself for small sites, but you may want to look at etomite which I've heard is easy to work into an existing design - though I haven't tried this myself.

Steve

P.S. If using WP, the only thing you may need is the http://www.semiologic.com/software/static-front/ plugin if you DON'T want your home page to look like a blog, but if you plan to have a blog for your home page and then additional product pages, you don't need to bother with this plugin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always set a page to be the homepage, it doesn't have to be the blog as the homepage.....fyi if you didn't know.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if you can remove the "powered by" on this one, but I use it and love it for its simplicity:

www.bigmedium.com
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!