SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow How to get OPed Writers? Need Help

I have a site <snip> that allows users to vote on news, chat and actually write there own column. So my question is how do i get writers to actually write there own column on my site. Feedback is definitely appreciated.
    Last edited by Shyflower; Feb 23, 2008 at 05:24. Reason: Your site address is allowed only in your signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is their incentive to create content for you?

Aso, setting an example may help:

We have heard about all those fun in the sun places you can travel to escape those cold American Winters...Carribean Islands held the number one spot for some time now but that trend is pretty old now. More recently Brasil has become the new hot flavor. Dont get me wrong its very tropical, relaxing, and the people are great. But the water is COLD, beaches are packed, and ....So I found myself asking the question where is the New Hot Spot to visit, where the water is warm, people are nice, and food is great. Where? Well I have some ideas - anywhere south of the equator should be the starting point - especially to escape those winter months in the US and Europe. Any thoughts?
    Do you know your geography? Antarctica is south of the equator. Did you mean "near the equator"?

Maybe find some Buckeyes? (sorry, couldn't resist)
    Last edited by old_expat; Feb 22, 2008 at 23:45.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Old_Expat hit the nail on the head with his first comment. "What is their incentive to create content for you?"

Why would I write free content for you site? Why would anybody?
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Implement some sort of ranking credit system where users get credits for each article over 200-500 words, and allow people to rank others content and give credits based on the rankings they receive. Have a side bar on the main page showing the top ranking contributers and a rankings page where you can search and sort through all kinds of information regarding who's best in different categories, most viewed, most linked to, etc.

People love rankings and credit even if they don't actually do anything. If you could come up with a creative way for them to receive some perceived value by spending their credits or giving them to other users it would further fuel the cycle.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the content writers even get the opportunity to place links to their sites within the text? Just that may attract some people who want to establish authority in specific areas.

Are the pages well optimized to place highly in SERP? Not much use in taking the time to write content for someone if that content isn't seen.