SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation VBulletin - Can it handle a massive amount of sub-forums? Or is there a better way?

Hi Sitepointers!

I am working on a project that is going to require a MASSIVE number of sub-forums. Imagine that you were to create forums for every county, in every state of the USA. We have VBulletin, but I really don't want to have to enter all this information into every sub-forum by hand. I'm even wondering if VBulletin is the right way to manage this.

Ideally, what we want to have is a way for people to ask questions of local professionals and get answers in a forum style, but to have that particular forum sponsored by that local professional. Since that person only manages a small area, there are going to be thousands upon thousands of sub-forums.

Does that make any sense? Any idea how to go about this before I get myself knee deep in something that might not be the most practical and efficient solution for our needs?

Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. I guess everyone else is just as stumped by this question as I am?
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure vBulletin can handle this, but I am not sure this is the best solution for your needs. You didn't offer much information. I don't understand why you would want to separate professionals of a particular field by state or even county. The more pros you gather together, the better the information you may be able to provide. If someone is looking for a pro in a specific location, you have several ways to offer that and still give them the combined expertise of similar pros from other areas.

You might also consider one of the best reasons not to separate them - checks and balances. Unless you plan to screen every single professional in every county of every state, you will have no way of knowing if the pro is truly professional in every respect. It's hard for a so-called pro to run a scam when they are among so many other pros.

Another benefit of combining similar pros is the educational value. One pro learns best from the wisdom and experience of other pros - it's true for recovering alcoholics and it's true for burgeoning entrepreneurs.

R'gards,

Jim

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would expect doing anything "massive" as you describe is going to require lots of careful planning and tuning over time. I think vBulletin would work fine for this, but certainly you'll need to plan for additional programming over time.