User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gridview Editable (Client Side)

How to achive this in GridView?

I need to edit one row at a time with a single Update button. Clicking on an Edit (gif) (adjacent to each row), the row should become editable.

After editing, when I click on the Update button, it should be updated. (This can be easily done)

The rows which are becoming editable should happen on the client side. I just want to know how to achieve this on the client side.

I cannot use any AJAX Controls (UpdatePanel etc)

Pls help.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, don't use a grid view.

Use a repeater to push the data out, then use some custom scripting--preferably backed by JQuery or some other sane scripting library to convert the row from data to form fields. Then grab the fields and post them back as XML or JSON depending on your pain tolerance.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason, I have to Use GridView.

Clicking on the Edit link (adjacent) to each row, the row should become editable. Basically, Label should change to DropDown. So, I have to play with visibility and invisibility of each control on each row of the grid.

So, Can't I use javascript to play with visibility and invisibility?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you have to use a grid view?

Anyhow, yes, you could use javascript to do that with a grid view, but they are so much more complex with so much more going on that, if you are going to essentially power this off custom javascript, you are better off using lighter-weight controls that leave you more in control of the output. In any case, using the native edit functionality of the grid view will be much more painful using custom scripting vs. just writing custom script against a plain old table.