SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do different browser effects SE position for same keyword in same Search engine

Hello Every body,

Am seeing some strange behavior of my website when m trying to find out its listing in different Browsers(Mainly IE and Firefox) for different search engines(Mainly Google)...

For a particular keyword m getting no 1 position in Google in IE and for the same keyword m getting no 7th position in Google when m checking it in Firefox....

Cannot understand why is this huge difference...same IP same datacentre...but different results in IE and Firefox...

Please do help me opt to find answer for the above problem m facing it sice days...

Thanx in advance....

Regards
    Monalisa

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several possible explanations. Off the top of my head:

They could be pulling search results from 2 different datacenters.

You could be signed into your Google account with one but not the other, and you're getting customized search results in one browser.

You have the Google toolbar installed in one but not the other, and it's affecting the search results.

You have some other toolbar (or even malware) in one browsers, and it's highjacking and changing search results.

Previous searches performed (and resulting clicks) in the different browsers are affecting the search results.

Or perhaps Google is doing evil and messing with your mind.

Edited to add: Oops, I see the "different datacenters" issue doesn't apply. There are still several other possibiities, and probably a few that I haven't thought of.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have the same issue with firefox but it is due to the fact that my toolbar picks results from google dot com and the other from google .co . uk

hence the geographical difference being reflected in the 2 searches.

check the google domain with these 2 different searches! are they the same?

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Even with exactly the same domain you can pull two different sets of results from Google. The results come from many different datacentres and not all datacentres update at the same time so some always have newer results than others.

It can't be anything to do with the browser because the only one used to determine the search engine results in Google is googlebot.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it has something to do with the browser returning different result in the SERP. Maybe it was just a glitch or Google updating when the search was made.
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed this as well, which I would also have to agree with the masses that it's just different data from different data centers.