SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

google keyword reporting tool? Like what overture has?

Hi all,

I'm just new to the google webmaster tools set but I don't see anything there that shows how many times a specific search term is searched for each month? Just some simple trend bars that have no indication to figures.

I know overture has their keyword selector tool, but as far as I know overture isnt connected to google or used anywhere near as much.

I see netmechanic has product that you must subscribe to. Anyone out there tried it?

How do other developers get around this issue. I just want to be able to go to a prospect and give them some kind of indication as to how many people are searching for their related terms from a half viable source.

Any help would be great

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stymiee I actually don't see any where those tools show me how many times a term is actually roughly search for each month, day. If the Trends actually gave some figures of some kind that would be handy. Is there a way to do this???

The overture search term engine actually gives a number.
    http://inventory.overture.com/d/sear...ry/suggestion/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear complexity,
    try the Google Suggest option. It would provide you the figures you have been searching for.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for that learnerse, however in the faq it doesnt really stipulate what those figures are based on! I'm taking it that they are the amount of actual pages that contain those search terms and not how often those terms are search for.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by learnerseo View Post
    Dear complexity,
    try the Google Suggest option. It would provide you the figures you have been searching for.
    yes this will help you. good luck

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by complexity View Post
    stymiee I actually don't see any where those tools show me how many times a term is actually roughly search for each month, day. If the Trends actually gave some figures of some kind that would be handy. Is there a way to do this???

The overture search term engine actually gives a number.
    http://inventory.overture.com/d/sear...ry/suggestion/
    You have to keep in mind that tools like Google's Adwords Keyword Suggestion Tools and Wordtracker are not to be taken literally. You are supposed to look at the volume of keyword searches by volume relative to each other and major search terms. That will give you an idea of how frequently a search term is being used. The exact number isn't important unless you're conducting trend analysis over an extended period of time. Even then, the exact number doesn't really offer any useful information. A number within 5% - 10% (or maybe more) of the exact number is just as useful. Those rough numbers will clearly expose which terms are popular and which are not. The fact that Google's Adwords Keyword Suggestion Tools or Wordtracker showed no results for a keyword means that it's search volume is extremely low which is all you need to know. Whether it is 1 search or 100 searches doesn't matter. You now know what kind of volume it has and what to expect in terms of competitiveness and traffic.

For example:

Let's use these fictitious results for 'stymieebot'

stymieebot 15000
    stymieebot clone 6000
    stymieebot repellent 5500
    stymieebot stickers 5200
    stymieebot t-shirts 4950
    stymieebot hoolahoop 300
    stymieebot mask 180
    stymieebot uzi 15
    stymieebot cologne 1

What we can tell is 'stymieebot' is clearly the most popular search term related to 'stymieebot'. The number of searches could be 18,000 or 12,000 and it still would clearly be the primary search term we would hope to rank well for and the most competitive (most likely). 'stymieebot clone', 'stymieebot repellent', 'stymieebot stickers', and 'stymieebot t-shirts' make up the second tier of results. They're grouped relatively close together and their order really is irrelevant. Their order will almost certainly change month-to-month but their average search volume will most likely remain the same. They'll always be searched far less then just 'stymieebot' but still get a decent number of searches each month. Their numbers don't matter because we know how popular they are relative to 'stymieebot' and that they are searched often enough to be worth targeting. 'stymieebot hoolahoop', 'stymieebot mask', 'stymieebot uzi', and 'stymieebot cologne' make up the third tier of results. They're seldom searched for and either will be longtail keywords or ignored completely. The exact number of searches are irrelevant because relative to the first two tiers we can see traffic from these terms will be sporadic at best and can assume they will be easy to target.

Off Topic:

let's hear it for cut and paste!