SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$25K / Month for advertising, what do you do?

I've got an upcoming project that will have roughly 25K / month for an advertising budget. The primary goal of this budget is to drive users to a niche content site. For the early life cycle of the site, the first and foremost goal is to drive targeted visitors to a niche site.

As an example, a site that's targeted to computer enthusiasts. This isn't the niche that we're targeting and it's far more crowded than the space we're getting into, but it's just a starting point for ideas.

As for the composition of the site, it will be comprised of a number of sections, a content rich blog that features multiple articles per day from content experts in the field, a content rich resource center that features lots of useful content regarding the niche, and an online community (probably using vb, ipb, or other forum software) that we'll be heavily focused on growing.

Now, the question is, what methods do we use to drive the maximum number of targeted visitors that are likely to return on a regular basis and join the online community.

Here are my initial thoughts on how to budget these funds, please critique and let me know what you think:

• Search Engine Marketing - $15000 (30 60k visits per month)
    • Targeted keywords send individuals to relevant articles
    • General keywords for the niche send individuals to main site
    • Community centric keywords send niche demo looking for a community to the forum portion of the site
    • Natural Search - $2500 per month (TBD)
    • On going program to capture the most valuable keywords for the target demographic.
    • CPM / CPC advertising - $2500 per month (7.5 15k visits per month)
    • Seek out similar niche resource sites and capture attention of the niche through traditional internet marketing methods (banners, text links, etc.)
    • Social / Viral Networking - $2500 per month (25-100k visits per month)
    • StumbleUpon
    • Semi-targeted traffic sent to the site for .05 per visit
    • Paid campaign to move the site up in the social bookmarking rankings
    • Social Bookmarking / User-generated news
    • All articles will be submitted to top social bookmarking sites
    • Articles identified as particularly noteworthy will have specific campaigns to gain maximum visibility in bookmarking/news sites
    • Press Release - $500 initial
    • A large initial effort upon launch of website to push out PR related materials throughout the web
    Online Marketing is fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mosmef06 View Post
    I've got an upcoming project that will have roughly 25K / month for an advertising budget. The primary goal of this budget is to drive users to a niche content site. For the early life cycle of the site, the first and foremost goal is to drive targeted visitors to a niche site.

As an example, a site that's targeted to computer enthusiasts. This isn't the niche that we're targeting and it's far more crowded than the space we're getting into, but it's just a starting point for ideas.

As for the composition of the site, it will be comprised of a number of sections, a content rich blog that features multiple articles per day from content experts in the field, a content rich resource center that features lots of useful content regarding the niche, and an online community (probably using vb, ipb, or other forum software) that we'll be heavily focused on growing.

Now, the question is, what methods do we use to drive the maximum number of targeted visitors that are likely to return on a regular basis and join the online community.

Here are my initial thoughts on how to budget these funds, please critique and let me know what you think:

• Search Engine Marketing - $15000 (30 60k visits per month)
    • Targeted keywords send individuals to relevant articles
    • General keywords for the niche send individuals to main site
    • Community centric keywords send niche demo looking for a community to the forum portion of the site
    • Natural Search - $2500 per month (TBD)
    • On going program to capture the most valuable keywords for the target demographic.
    • CPM / CPC advertising - $2500 per month (7.5 15k visits per month)
    • Seek out similar niche resource sites and capture attention of the niche through traditional internet marketing methods (banners, text links, etc.)
    • Social / Viral Networking - $2500 per month (25-100k visits per month)
    • StumbleUpon
    • Semi-targeted traffic sent to the site for .05 per visit
    • Paid campaign to move the site up in the social bookmarking rankings
    • Social Bookmarking / User-generated news
    • All articles will be submitted to top social bookmarking sites
    • Articles identified as particularly noteworthy will have specific campaigns to gain maximum visibility in bookmarking/news sites
    • Press Release - $500 initial
    • A large initial effort upon launch of website to push out PR related materials throughout the web
    That's a nice amount of money to play around with, for a new site. It looks like you've got a good overview of a starting point for a plan.

I would definitely focus on the Site Structure, first and foremost. Use Search Engine Marketing (PPC) and direct traffic to specific pages/articles using cheap, but relevant keywords.

Definitely work on Social Media Marketing... maybe create a few free ebooks and collect optins, make sure the site is Optimized for Social Media (SMO) and create enough user "widgets" to keep people interested, just don't overdo it and make it too complicated.

Sorry, I'm probably going all over the place due to the lack of time I have...

SEM
    SEO
    SMO
    SMM

All of those are nice acronyms... just focus on the right ways to get them accomplished and use your budget wisely!

Sounds like a FUN project!

Good luck!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input Clenard. Do you have any more input on the site structure and how it could be optimized? What do you think of the structure that I've laid out above.

Thanks!
    Online Marketing is fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a nice budget to spend advertising on.

I guess you have a good ad campaign there. The key is to diversify for more reach. Maybe you could also squeeze in your budget some offline ads.
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management