User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Need Easy Site Modification Software

HI,

I have a few clients I do web design for who do not understand how to use FTP like SmartFTP to download, change text on pages, and re-upload to the proper directory/format.

What do you suggest to use (preferably free), that would be easiest to use for those folks who understand computers somewhat, but not enough to use FTP etc? What my clients have said is that it would be nice to open a program and have the pages of the site displayed so that they can directly make edits, and it automatically 'changes' on the site.

It's for a charity organization, and the lady who would edit pages/images is about 60 years old. They are currently using Joomla!, which is very confusing for them, not to mention that it does not work with her Mac's Safari browser (only FireFox). I'd like to make it as easy as editing a text document in Microsoft Word or something...

Thanks in advance for your help. This looks like a great forum with lots of great contributions!

Regards,
    Kristin

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there,

I don't have experience with either of these, but check out www.editwrx.com and Adobe's Contribute and see what you think.

Are you hosting this site too? Might want to check your control panel and see if there's an editor available there - as I know cPanel has a basic html editor that's built in.

Steve

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravedesigns View Post
    Hey there,

I don't have experience with either of these, but check out www.editwrx.com and Adobe's Contribute and see what you think.

Are you hosting this site too? Might want to check your control panel and see if there's an editor available there - as I know cPanel has a basic html editor that's built in.

Steve

Hey Steve, thanks for your input. I'll look into those. I will be hosting the site as well with my partner's hosting company. He'll pretty much install whatever I need. I'll check if they have cPanel. I need a WYSIWYG editor, as my client is older and does not know any html.

Thanks,
    Kristin

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nvu, although no longer in development, is a very good free editor.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prestigewebsite View Post
    I need a WYSIWYG editor, as my client is older and does not know any html.

Thanks,
    Kristin
    My bad - I meant to say WYSIWYG

I just checked and in cpanel you need to go into the file manager and when you select a file to look at, you'll get a list of additional options including their editor.

Good luck!

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a Related Note...

I have a client whose Web site is in Frontpage. The staff of the organization that updates the site has a cursory understanding of the program, and I have been contracted to teach them how to update the site themselves using Frontpage. One of my tasks was to redesign the site so it would be easier for them to edit.

There's only one problem: I used automatic navigation bars so that the people who perform the updates can easily create new pages and add them to the navigation tree, rather than have to create and insert those links manually. However, the navigation bars only publish partially when I try to publish via Frontpage. No matter what I try, I can't fix the problem (it's probably an issue with the host). I can get around it using FTP software, but I don't think my client will find Filezilla (or Cute FTP or WS_FTP or similar software) easy to use.

Does anyone know of a good FTP program that even a complete neophyte can master? Something that automatically syncs remote and local files the way Frontpage does (but that actually works)?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.

-- Mike

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mike,

The only thing I've seen that looked somewhat user friendly (and this was a few years ago) was Macromedia's Contribute which I believe had the ability to connect to a server and publish a site developed with it.

Any chance you could redevelop this site and use a CMS, like wordpress, so users could just login and make their edits...no ftping required?

Cheers - and welcome to Sitepoint!

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: FTP Software That's Easy for Clients to Use

Hi Mike,

The only thing I've seen that looked somewhat user friendly (and this was a few years ago) was Macromedia's Contribute which I believe had the ability to connect to a server and publish a site developed with it.

Any chance you could redevelop this site and use a CMS, like wordpress, so users could just login and make their edits...no ftping required?

Steve
    Thanks, Steve.

I thought of doing that, but then the client would have to install and learn new authoring software. Plus, they wouldn't be able to create new pages that have automatically-updated navigation if they use Contribute. Rather than go that route, I may as well just keep the site in Frontpage and code my own navbars--something I was hoping to avoid, since it would make it so easy on the client to have self-updating navigation.

But you are right. Contribute would be a better overall solution for this client to use. I am using one main DWT file for their site's design, so it would be great for me if they did.

Thank you again, Steve!

-- Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: FTP Software That's Easy for Clients to Use

Hi Mike,

Steve
    That's another idea that crossed my mind. This client, though, has a lot of content already created in Frontpage, including photo galleries and PDF archives. Their needs are pretty specific, and I'm not sure that Wordpress would fully meet them.