User Tag List

Thread: Paid links

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paid links

I have read that changes in the google algorithm mean that it now looks and identifies reciprical links and also paid links and (not sure how best to word this part) does not give them a high weighting.

My questions is how can google tell if a link has been apid for or if it is a natural link?

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Phil,

To the best of my knowledge, Google only "penalizes" those links if they're acquired with the intent to manipulate the sites' rankings and PageRank. If they're obtained for the purpose of marketing and promoting the site, or as part of a legitimate advertising campaign, Google probably won't care much as long as it's done reasonably and honestly.

As for how, I'm not a Google engineer, so I can't answer that question since I honestly have no idea how they do it.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the simple answer is that they can't really tell. I'd be pretty certain they look for patterns consistent with paid linking, stuff like appearing under "Sponsored Links". They also have a good idea of sites that are part of link exchange/bartering networks, and will treat these links with suspicion.
    Basically, if you're going to buy links for SEO purposes, make sure they look as natural as possible. I would do this by having them appear within content, be related to the content, be related to the site as a whole etc.
    As a general rule, if the users of the site linking to you will find your site interesting/useful, and they can't tell its been paid for, then Google are unlikely to work it out either.
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They might not be detecting it automatically, they may use public information to get new algorithms, or competitors reporting them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalreturns View Post
    Well the simple answer is that they can't really tell. I'd be pretty certain they look for patterns consistent with paid linking, stuff like appearing under "Sponsored Links". They also have a good idea of sites that are part of link exchange/bartering networks, and will treat these links with suspicion.
    Basically, if you're going to buy links for SEO purposes, make sure they look as natural as possible. I would do this by having them appear within content, be related to the content, be related to the site as a whole etc.
    As a general rule, if the users of the site linking to you will find your site interesting/useful, and they can't tell its been paid for, then Google are unlikely to work it out either.
    Hey,

that s a good one! never thought of disguising paid links like that!!

not that i have ever bought one !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets not forget one of the easiest methods Google has for detecting paid links, the "report paid links" function in webmaster central.