SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

setting up an ASP/SQL desktop(PC) development environment?

Most ASP tutorials, etc, even the beginnner sites, just start out with the code ... but what about your development environment?

Is there any way to set up a complete development environment on my PC (Windows ME, sadly) like I can with Apache/PHP/MySQL? In other words, a suitable server that parses ASP, and a SQL-compliant database. I realize getting into ASP goes into the commercial (non-free) arena, but are there ways around this in less-expensive or free ways? For instance, what about using Microsoft Access (isn't this part of M.Office?) for the DB? For the server, I know there's IIS but it only comes with Win2000 ... and PWS really stinks.

Or do most of you just FTP files to the "real"/webhost server/DB as you go? That's just so slow and a pain.

If anyone out there can help me get started with a good, inexpensive (or free) development environment, I'd be very appreciative. Any insights, hard-won lessons, things that don't work, etc, would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Access and PWS (personal web server) on Windows 98 all the time. PWS can be downloaded from the MS site somewhere. I'm not sure if it comes with ME but it is on the Win98 SE disk. PWS is a free download by the way.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply.

I started out using PWS on my home Win98 machine but it wasn't stable -- and was really limiting -- so I installed phpTriad(apache,php,mysql)-- it's been awesome. At work, I have Windows ME with phpTriad installed. I tried PWS as well but ran into installation errors. Also conflicts even when not running both servers at the same time. That's why I don't like PWS.

So now I'm still trying to get asp/sql going; maybe I'll end up having to deal with PWS ...

Using Access, do you have to change the code (connection,queries) when you transfer pages to a host with a "true" SQL Server?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it depends on whether your using dns or dns-less connections. dns-less most likely will require you to change the path.

Another thought, if you upgrade to Windows 2000 Pro - doesn't that come with IIS server that can be installed?

Can you get a component that would let you run ASP on triad - something like ChiliSoft?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I'm pretty certain IIS comes with Win2000. I'm thinking that's really what I should do.

Boy, this topic has generated a lot of discussion, hasn't it? I guess you and I are the only ones trying to set up an asp development environment on a PC. ( sarcasm :-)

Where is the rest of the SitePoint Community ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure about the (me) solution to your problem as I use win 98 with PWS also have mysql installed with php and have had no problems. I have recently upgraded from access to sql server with the hosting company. The only script I had to change was the connection script as it was a include file on the pages that referenced the DB.
    mca00
    Direct Express Pharmacy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure about the (me) solution to your problem as I use win 98 with PWS also have mysql installed with php and have had no problems. I have recently upgraded from access to sql server with the hosting company. The only script I had to change was the connection script as it was a include file on the pages that referenced the DB.
    mca00
    Direct Express Pharmacy

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also a PHP'er. If i was you i would continue to use MySQL because it is a free database, and you can use the MyODBC from Mysql's site ( I Think). Also i would use PWS if i was on win 9x/me or if you can get win2k/xp they do come with IIS5.0/6.0 respectively.
    signature