SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on a CMS Solution

Okay, I'm looking to set something like this up:

• a cms for a specific industry where we can create a fresh website for the client (either on our subdirectory or on their own domain - if we have access to the dns)
    • The client can login and edit the content of certain certain things but cannot add/delete pages (i.e. Edit their about me or upload a photo). They also need to be able to view stats on visitors and select different themes.
    • All these sites should be through one DB where the admin account can edit/monitor the details of each site.

I know this will definitely require some custom coding, but does anyone have experience with something like this? Or suggestions on an open source solution that is somewhat close to this?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you could probably do this in Drupal relatively easily (or even more lightweight CMSs like ModX or Etomite) - it is just a case of carefully setting user permissions.

Each website would be on a separate installation though (they all use simple wizard installation though so it isn't much hassle).

-Tim

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to check out www.bigmedium.com as I know you can manage multiple sites with one installation.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joomla is a can do. If you aren't php savvy or have deep pockets, don't go there with Drupal.

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drupal does multi-site installations. I think dalt is wrong about needing to be good at PHP - I'm not especially strong at PHP but I've taken the time to learn Drupal. It has a steep learning curve, but is the best CMS I've seen so the rewards are great. Actually it's not really a CMS - it's a framework with a load of existing modules already created, which is why it's so good.

Worth considering Drupal 6, as it is now a formal production release, but Drupal 5 has better module support still.