User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Serp position = what % of clicks

Hi all,

Quick question, anyone know what the percentage of clicks you get from each of the positions on a Search Engine Result Page.

E.g.
    No. 1 position gets 70%
    No. 2 position gets 20%
    etc.

For each of the Search Engines, google, yahoo, msn (since they have different layouts).

Mooch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim Boykin put some figures up on his blog a fair while ago but i think it would still be fairly relevant apart from serps heavily dominated by universal search results.
    Total Searches:9,038,794
    Total Clicks: 4,926,623

Click Rank1: 2,075,765
    Click Rank2: 586,100 = 3.5x less
    Click Rank3: 418,643 = 4.9x less
    Click Rank4: 298,532 = 6.9x less
    Click Rank5: 242,169 = 8.5x less
    Click Rank6: 199,541 = 10.4x less
    Click Rank7: 168,080 = 12.3x less
    Click Rank8: 148,489 = 14.0x less
    Click Rank9: 140,356 = 14.8x less
    Click Rank10: 147,551 = 14.1x less

Click Rank1: 2,075,765
    Click Rank2: 586,100 = 3.5x less than ^
    Click Rank3: 418,643 = 1.4x less than ^
    Click Rank4: 298,532 = 1.4x less than ^
    Click Rank5: 242,169 = 1.2x less than ^
    Click Rank6: 199,541 = 1.2x less than ^
    Click Rank7: 168,080 = 1.2x less than ^
    Click Rank8: 148,489 = 1.1x less than ^
    Click Rank9: 140,356 = 1.05x less than ^
    Click Rank10: 147,551 = 1.05x more than ^
    Heavens Rejects : Online Clothing Store
    Alternative Clothing : Mr Blonde
    Front end development : By the Webfella

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you could get "accurate" percentages, but only data from websites currently ranking for a specific keyword. Then, you would need atleast the first 10 sites to all share their appropriate organic data.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssandecki View Post
    I don't think you could get "accurate" percentages, but only data from websites currently ranking for a specific keyword. Then, you would need atleast the first 10 sites to all share their appropriate organic data.
    A large part of it comes down to the quality of the sites in the rankings. If somebody finds what they are looking for in the first search result, they don't need to go to the second search result, let alone the 34th result.

One of my sites currently ranks #3 for the most competitive search phrase in my niche. When my site ranked sub-30 (page 4 of the Google SERPs), I hardly got no traffic at all. I'd only get a couple dozen visitors per week. Now that I rank #3, I get that many visitors in an hour, except late at night. For that same search phrase, I rank sub-30 in Yahoo currently and top 10 in MSN. Yahoo hardly sends any traffic for that search phrase and Yahoo sends much more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, it is not possible to track the number of clicks on any particular search result. there will be some technical flaws in achieving it.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssandecki View Post
    That was the case until the AOL search data got leaked a few years ago.

We now have millions of actual user searches in thousands of niches to use to figure out the click percentages. That's where most of the sites that quote those percentages get them from.

Can't get much more statistically valid than that over all keywords.

With that said if you SEO properly, you can increase your CTR regardless of position (title tag, call to action in the description tag, etc...).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you are listed on the first page of SERPs, the click percentage also depends on the quality of the text with which you are listed, I supposed.

It won't do you much good to be listed in the top if your text doesn't make people want to click the link.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FHM is right, the "copy" of your search result is important as well. This can come from the page's content, its meta description or its ODP description. I read a post a while ago that for a single site showed an increase in visits when they made their title tag stand out with, for example, "<<<" at the beginning. They had two pages at #2 and #3 for the same query, and ended up with more clicks from the #3 result by playing with the title tag a bit, so it's worth some effort.
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the COPY of the serp result will have a huge impact, as well as the actual niche.

However there must be some accepted percentage values that this position in the SERPs will get this amount of traffic when all things are equal (which they never are).

Otherwise I will just use these values mentioned in my own calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blonde View Post
    Jim Boykin put some figures up on his blog a fair while ago but i think it would still be fairly relevant apart from serps heavily dominated by universal search results.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooch View Post

However there must be some accepted percentage values that this position in the SERPs will get this amount of traffic when all things are equal (which they never are).

Otherwise I will just use these values mentioned in my own calculations.
    Or you could just use the correct ones that were mentioned previously in this thread.

A more useful breakdown is...

Results in:
    Total Searches: 9,038,794
    Total Clicks: 4,926,623

% of clicks
    Click Rank1: 2,075,765 42.13%
    Click Rank2: 586,100 11.90%
    Click Rank3: 418,643 8.50%
    Click Rank4: 298,532 6.06%
    Click Rank5: 242,169 4.92%
    Click Rank6: 199,541 4.05%
    Click Rank7: 168,080 3.41%
    Click Rank8: 148,489 3.01%
    Click Rank9: 140,356 2.85%
    Click Rank10: 147,551 2.99%

1st page: 4,425,226 89.82%
    2nd page: 501,397 10.18%

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always wondered how many users click on PPC vs. Organic. Me personally, I ignore PPC Ads out of habit usually unless I cant really find what I' am searching for.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to mention that today I saw a spike in traffic from Google for my two most competitive search phrases (in my niche). For keyphrase1 I went from position #3 to #2; for keyphrase2 I went from #2 to positions #1 and #2 (I don't expect the second one to stay in the top 10 for long).

The most likely reason for this is because one of my competitors who held both #1 slots for both key phrases totally and completely dropped out of Google. Whether or not they come back quickly remains to be seen.

But yes, I do notice a jump in traffic moving up 1 slot. Unfortunately, there is a moderate amount of variance in people searching using those phrases, according to Google Trends, so I won't be able to get any hard data. But, I'll track it. It isn't a huge jump like doubling of traffic, yet it is significant. One after another people are visiting using the main search phrase.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheesedude,

Congratulations with moving up. It would be very neat if you could hang on those spots long enough to get a feeling of how they impact your traffic.