SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ie6 form fields not tabbing and refusing mouse click

I have a form I'm working on at the moment and it works on FF and IE7 but it won't work in IE6.

The problem in IE6 means that the user can click in a form field one and add data to that field but once that's done, the user cannot move to any other field either through tabbing or mouse click.

Also, once this has happened, the scroll bar also stops responding to mouse clicks.

Unfortunately I can't provide the url because of client confidentiality but I want to know if anyone has encountered this kind of problem before.

Thanks.

EXTRA INFO_______
    * I am using a fixed table height on the form with a fixed table header (yes, the form is in a table-- my boss insists on this) so that the body of the table can scroll through with the header staying where it is.

Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    That's a new one.

You should create a simplified example of the problem, one that removes all unnecessary information but still demonstrates the problem.
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Paul.

I think I've isolated the problem to a bit of javascript code that's causing a loop in ie6 but no other browsers.

I'd love to be able to give a simplified version but it's a bit difficult at this stage.

Still, if anyone's encountered this kind of problem I'd love to hear about it.

Otherwise, if I find a solution I'll post it here.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the problem was actually with a "return false;" within the html of an onchange argument. Unfortunately where I work they don't believe in unobtrusive javascript and the problems could really be anywhere.

I still don't properly understand return false and how it works. I do know, though, that getting rid of it in this case caused no problems and fixed others.

Thanks for your help, anyway.

Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    When an anchor link is clicked the browser follows the path in the href attribute. When an event returns a value of false to the link, the browser will ignore that path and won't follow it.
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript