SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting together a team

My partner and I have an idea that we believe could sweep the world of web development server-side that would give people who know nothing of web sites but currently own them a lot more security and power when it comes to outsourcing tasks. Our current idea is a huge project, we can start with something small which would still offer a lot, but we've got some great ideas on how to develop this software over the long term and dominate the market.

Currently there's nothing like it in existance that we know of. My question is.... we're 21 and 22 and getting a lot of investing would be very difficult because we don't have anything to offer up front other than a bank loan on our end. What would be the best route to get funding for such a project? We'll need about 3 more people.... so how do you think we should go about getting this project completed?

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe finding good people is one of the most challenging and rewarding tasks you can undertake. There are many great ideas out there, but getting the right people in place to implement the idea is the hard part. So I encourage you to start making some friends and learn about their strengths. Find out some ways that you can work together that will be mutually beneficial.

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does 3 more people solve your financial needs?
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you really need the other three people at this stage of your development or would it be possible to get going initially with just the two of you? Plow your profits back into the business and after a while you should not only have enough money to engage the first of the three people you need but also work in the pipeline; then repeat the exercise. Rome wasn't built in a day and if you can do it this way you will not be working to service debt. Good people are very hard to find but can be attracted if you can show them you are offering them a position with a successful company. Selling something which is still an idea is a lot harder work.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you looking for three people to work with you or three more investors (or both?)

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always say keep it simple, and keep your costs down initially. Do what you can on bare essentials first. Sounds like an interesting project, best of luck with it.

RJ

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the issue. We run a Starcraft 2 site which in order for that to succeed requires further development. My partner is a full time programmer and can't do much programming on top of his 40 hrs/week, or nearly enough to completed both the Starcraft 2 site as well as this new project.

We're confident that this new idea will be a almost guaranteed winner with everyone who uses it, as well as the Starcraft 2 site currently is leading the market. The SC2 site is doing just fine with an additional 10-15 hours investment in programming per week, but there's just not time to do all of it.

I see it as we have 2 options:

1) Get the right people on board (as you've stated, extremely difficult) who are willing to invest time into this without any immediate financial return, although with the way this will be executed I think it will be difficult to find these reliable people.

2) Get investors. I think this is equally as difficult. I've already made up my mind that I'm going to put together a business plan for this, start doing the research, find out what our potential market is, etc. I believe I've answered my own questions here in this thread.

If you have any other feedback I'd love to hear it!

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand your frustrations. I too am in a similiar situation. You cant spend time on the websites, because theyre not making enough money, and you have to have money to make a living which means having to work, which means in return not having enough time to invest into the websites!

Its a viscious circle and one that does my head in!

You just have to do what you can whilst maintaining a balanced lifestyle. Is that really possible as a web developer???

RJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I don't quite understand. Are you saying that your partner is already working 40 hours a week on this project or are you saying that your partner is working as a full time programmer elsewhere?
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your partner won’t make the time to commit to this project now that is a red flag that he is NOT committed enough to this project to see it through. If you guys really want this project to succeed you are going to have to devote a period of time to having no life. Most web projects DONT need outside funding because they simply are not that expensive to create. Do you guys each have 20k in credit on cards? Then you have 40k in funding.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My partner is committed, but he has a full time job to pay the bills. It's not wise to rack up $40k in CC debt to develop a project like this. I've found what I need from this thread, thank you for your discussions.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im also in a similar position with a project im embarking on with a friend of mine. I work full time in a programmers role and he is doing honours at university.

We have chosen the following route:

1) develop the software based on observations we've made within our intended market.

2) release the software as a public beta for testing

3) find free resources to guide us in marketing this (in this case its my father and my friends father in law)

4) use the potential profits to fund the software development further and to hire critical staff.

by minimising costs and reliability, if the project fails (50% chance it will), then we have only lost a bit of money in hosting, a bit in some pay ads and the rest is just time and hard work on our part.

At the end of the day we will have both learned alot during this, and that can only be valuable knowledge to pour into other ideas.

Software dev is great for start ups as it only requires a few computers (cheap), a few good brains and some hard work and dedication. No need for materials, heavy equipment or copious amounts of labour, all of which are liabilities.

Google was founded by two guys during a university project, Microsoft started in a rented hotel room and Apple was two hippies at a geek meet.

W2ttsy