SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP IDE that can FTP (omg)

I'm trying to find an ide that can open an ftp directory, show it in a treeview, and either on file save, or by some other means, sync back to the ftp directory.

I've looked at a whole bunch of IDEs and either they can't do it, or they say they can but the functionality is broken.

The idea is to have a file open, edit it, save it, then go to my browser and see the remote site updated in real time. Surely I'm not the only one who needs this?
    Bring out our hope and reason, before we pine away.

SitePoint Enthusiast vivek94401's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    html-kit from chami.com; did you try that?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I sure have. That's one of those that can open one file from a remote source, but not whole directories.

I'm surprised this topic hasn't gotten more replies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What your are asking for is odd that's why it hasn't generated many replies. This isn't a task for an IDE to handle, its a task for the OS. You should look for a ftp to drive/directory mapping utility for your OS. Or you could do what most developers do and have a local copy of the website (code only) on your machine and upload your changes from the IDE (most editors have this functionality.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxas View Post
    What your are asking for is odd that's why it hasn't generated many replies. This isn't a task for an IDE to handle, its a task for the OS. You should look for a ftp to drive/directory mapping utility for your OS.
    Alternatively, if you're allowed ssh/sftp access to the server you could use something like SftpDrive for Windows that'll map directories on the server as a local drive. Or if you're using Linux there's sshfs for FUSE.

Iirc Dreamweaver let you do something similar with FTP, but you'd have to check it out for yourself as I've not used the product in years :\

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are pretty neat programs. Are there any open source alternatives? I suppose $39 isn't bad though.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good lord... sftpDrive is amazing. This is exactly what I wanted. It's not quite 100% perfect because it requires ssh access, and I don't have access to all the servers I work on, but it's perfect for working on my own server. Thanks a lot, man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PMichaud View Post
    Good lord... sftpDrive is amazing. This is exactly what I wanted. It's not quite 100% perfect because it requires ssh access, and I don't have access to all the servers I work on, but it's perfect for working on my own server. Thanks a lot, man!
    Good to hear it

I've long since replaced FTP with SSH/SFTP/SCP, much more secure with less hassle.