SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about selling ads? Is it a viable revenue source?

I am in the process of developing a professional networking-type site that is target focused on a very desirable demographic that has a built-in advertising base. The question that I have is that I see all this talk about CPM and CPC ads, but what about marketing directly to advertisers and getting them to pay for an ad on the site? I think that what I have is great site for advertisers... I mean, if it was a print media, then I would be able to get a lot of high paying advertisers on it.... But, does this model not work on the web? And if I have a great site with the ability to sell space to advertisers, how much can you generally get away with charging? I know that a lot has to do with traffic, but what kind of ranges are out there for this type of advertising?

Any info would be very helpful.... thanks!!
    Last edited by harrisk954; Feb 17, 2008 at 08:35. Reason: typo in title

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is much harder to sell directly to advertisers, especially if you are a new website without many records to show for your traffic. You are going to have to stick with AdSense and other ad networks until you grow for a bit, then you'll be able to start targetting advertisers directly. You may even find that people email you about advertising, as this is what happened to me after my site had grown for a year or so.

It really is not a viable revenue source though, unless your site gets big. However, you can charge more for a direct advertiser than you would make with an ad network, so it does make more money than that, at least for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much to charge is the name of the game, you obviously want to be cheaper than your competitors to attract more advertisers (assuming you know how). Again, the price would depend on the niche of the site itself.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Advertisers are always looking for more sites to advertise on. I'm an advertiser, and so am I. But you have to have enough traffic coming in to make it worth our while.

For me, it has to be at least a few thousand hits a day.

Reasoning is that on average .5-1% click on ads, and of those going to the site, 1-2% will buy.

So, ya gotta do the math.

Then again, if the price is good....

What is your url?

Oh, wait, scratch that. They are pissey here about that. Anyway, if you have enough traffic, contact the advertisers directly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need to bother selling direct. If you have the right audience and great adsense pacement there is no better, more reliable way to make money IMO. Put the adsense in there face. Don't be afraid. That is the key.
    Teradazzle.com - Search the Edge of the Web
    "You will be surprised at where you can go from here."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dndoseller View Post
    You don't need to bother selling direct. If you have the right audience and great adsense pacement there is no better, more reliable way to make money IMO. Put the adsense in there face. Don't be afraid. That is the key.
    But, if you have the traffic and the right audience demographic, isn't it more lucrative to have ads paid directly to my site? In addition to AdSense and affiliates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should base your rates on the ads you are selling by your PR and traffic stats - these are the two major factors.
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoon32 View Post
    I'm an advertiser, and so am I.
    i see you are of two minds on this topic

it reminds me of the old poem...

roses are red
    violets are blue
    i'm schizophrenic
    and so am i
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol damn, it does look like a typo, doesn't it. :-)~

Screw it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    it reminds me of the old poem...

roses are red
    violets are blue
    i'm schizophrenic
    and so am i
    LOLS
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may recommend you to start with adsense at the begining. After you get some stats from the adsense you can try to sell your ad placements directly to advertisers for the higher price. Also you can try to find an affiliate program close to the niche of your website and copmare the results with adsense.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use adsense and affiliate links until you find some good paying advertisers.