SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firefox vs Pop-ups

ON EDIT: Sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong forum. I published the page online and checked it with Firefox running on my PC - and it works. So it looks like it's a problem with Firefox, not JavaScript.

I inserted a pop-up window link from http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90644...

Code:
    <a href="Browser_Wars.php" target="new" onclick="window.open( this.href, this.target, 'whatever features you want here' ); return false;">Click here!</a>
    ...and I also tried both of the examples from a tutorial at http://www.tizag.com/javascriptT/javascriptpopups.php All the scripts work on Opera and Safari, but when I click on them in Firefox, it opens the page in a new tab.

I'm working on a Mac running Leopard. I've verified that JavaScript is enabled. I clicked Preferences > Content and unchecked "Block pop-up windows." I also disabled a couple add-ons I thought might be causing the problem - AdBlock and NoScript. Nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have a hunch what might be going on?

Thanks.
    Last edited by geosite; Feb 16, 2008 at 11:10.

Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Your particular browser may be set up to open new windows in tabs. Have a look in Tools > Options > Tabs

Note: You can't control such behaviour of the user's browser.
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I just solved it. Turns out I made a simple mistake.

I fiddled with one of my add-ons, NoScript, changing the preferences, but that didn't help. So I disabled it and another add-on, AdBlock.

Later, I discovered a third add-on that I decided to disable, ExecuteJS. While working on it, I was advised that it would take effect after I restarted Firefox. It occurred to me that the other two add-ons might similarly require a restart.

Anyway, I restarted Firefox, and now EVERYTHING works - Flash, Shockwave and JavaScript pop-ups. Now I just have to go back and figure out which add-on sabotaged my browser.