SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy dollarlogodesign.com site - kindly ask for your review - needs help - panicking!

Hi,

I have a custom logo design website http://www.dollarlogodesign.com that needs your help. Before I redesigned it people were buying. Now, nobody is buying. The prices start at $9 for the basic package so it can not be the price. Right? Or is it to cheap?

Could it be my logo gallery?

Bad layout?

I am in a bit of a panic mode as this is my main source of income.

I would be extremely grateful for any feedback you may have.

Thank you

Staniel

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I don't really like the font you used on the menu with the grey background. I also feel there should be some more white space around this area.

I think you should probably use a more rounded font throughout the site.

There is also a lot of text on the front page and you have to scroll quite a bit. Maybe you could redesign the layout and summarise the text.

Change the design of the image for your gallery.

Hope this helps.

Asa

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asa_carter View Post
    Hi
    I don't really like the font you used on the menu with the grey background. I also feel there should be some more white space around this area.
    By more white space do you mean that I should space both menu bars further from the header image on each page? Or did you mean more white space in between the orange and gray menu bars?
    I think you should probably use a more rounded font throughout the site.
    I used that font on the menu bar because it is the font used in the logo and throughout the site. I didn't want to use too many fonts throughout the site. I think I used for total. The one in the menu bar is vibrocentric. My css font family sitewide is:
    font-family: "Georgia", Times New Roman, Times, serif;
    Of those what do you think would look good in the menu bar?
    There is also a lot of text on the front page and you have to scroll quite a bit. Maybe you could redesign the layout and summarise the text.
    I could get rid of the text on the bottom of the front page but I though it would help towards SEO. I have always been on the fence about that. I will probably delete it from more about Dollar Logo Design on.
    Change the design of the image for your gallery.
    Do you mean the image on the front page that you click to get to the gallery or the gallery itself? I personally do not like the frame the logo is in so I will see about changing it to the frame that it uses in the gallery.

Thanks so much for your feedback.

All reviews are very much appreciated.

Staniel

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Staniel View Post
    By more white space do you mean that I should space both menu bars further from the header image on each page? Or did you mean more white space in between the orange and gray menu bars?Staniel
    I think you should have some white space between the bottom of the grey menu bar and the top of the images below it.

I used that font on the menu bar because it is the font used in the logo and throughout the site. I didn't want to use too many fonts throughout the site. I think I used for total. The one in the menu bar is vibrocentric. My css font family sitewide is:
    font-family: "Georgia", Times New Roman, Times, serif;
    Of those what do you think would look good in the menu bar?
    Staniel
    I'm not an expert on fonts and it is good you are sticking to a limited number. In my opinion as a web user, the font doesn't suit your site and it makes me not want to read the text. If it was me I would consider re-doing the whole site in a more rounded font theme. But that's just my opinion.

I could get rid of the text on the bottom of the front page but I though it would help towards SEO. I have always been on the fence about that. I will probably delete it from more about Dollar Logo Design on.
    Staniel
    SEO is something I nothing about. All I know as a web user is that there is far too much text for me to read and If I was looking for a logo I would visit quite a few sites and all that text would put me off straight away.

Do you mean the image on the front page that you click to get to the gallery or the gallery itself? I personally do not like the frame the logo is in so I will see about changing it to the frame that it uses in the gallery.
    Staniel
    The image you click the get to the gallery. Maybe you could have some image saying 'View Gallery', rather than a logo with 'View Gallery' as a button within the image. I think that may be better.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Asa for your help.

Great ideas. I plan on implementing at least a few!

Staniel

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anybody know what font or font set is used in these sitepoint posts?

I was thinking of maybe changing the text on the website to that.

Thanks,

Staniel

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the CSS I would say this:

color: #333333;
    font: small verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif;

SitePoint Enthusiast dmvictoria's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site looks good, but there is a bit of a disconnect between the site logos and the ones in your logo gallery. Just an idea, scale back your site logos a bit so that they won't overshadow the ones in the gallery. Or, if you have better "stock" logos you can put in your gallery, then they can be at least on par with the site logo's.

I hope that made sense... very tired.

GL!
    STOP!
    Berofe selecting a host, read these WEB HOSTING REVIEWS first.

OMG! Another List of Directories! Open for submissions.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmvictoria View Post
    Site looks good, but there is a bit of a disconnect between the site logos and the ones in your logo gallery. Just an idea, scale back your site logos a bit so that they won't overshadow the ones in the gallery. Or, if you have better "stock" logos you can put in your gallery, then they can be at least on par with the site logo's.

I hope that made sense... very tired.

GL!
    Thank you for your feedback. By site logos...did you mean the dollarlogodesign logo? or design throughout the site?

I will try changing some of the logos in the gallery. Was there any that you thought I should keep in or definitely get rid of? It is hard selecting the ones that would appeal to the most people. Some people like this one and other like that one but not the other one. Is there any style of logo that would appeal to you. I have one web 2.0 logo in there. Should there be more of that?

Thank you again for your help.

Staniel

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the CSS I would say this:

color: #333333;
    font: small verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
    Thank you so much. I will try it out with any other ideas that people may have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem #1:
    The font you're using for your site, especially the images. It makes text harder to read, and it's not appealing.

Solution #1:
    Use a more web-friendly sans-serif text, like Arial.

Problem #2:
    Your top navigation doesn't really seem like a navigation with click-able links. The problem here is that its using the same fonts your ads are using.

Solution #2:
    Change the font. Use a standard sans-serif font for your navigation to make it stand out more.

Problem #3:
    You're using two top navigation bars. The one with the packages is big and orange, which is enough to make it look like the main navigation bar, making the actual main navigation bar look as a sub navigation bar. That definitely will confuse visitors.

Solution #3:
    Get rid of the orange bar (with the links to those services, I'll tell you where to put them in a moment), keep the main navigation bar up there alone, and re-format it to actually look like a top-level navigation and attract visitors attention.

Problem #4:
    You're wasting so much space above the fold (the area visitors see without scrolling) with an image and some ad that's hard to read. You could've used that area to promote your main services since you only have 3 of them (or so it seems).

By the way, the same problem exists in other pages. You're wasting so much space above the fold just for placing a pretty image.

Solution #4:
    Something like this for example (sorry, no time for details):
    http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/5263/servicesmh3.jpg

Problem #5:
    What is "Gallery" (the link in the top navigation)? is it a gallery of the owner's pictures? is it something else? what is it?

Solution #5:
    That's why you need to rename to "Portfolio". That's what it's called conventionally.

I've pointed out only 5 problems, but I can see many more issues with the web site. It's unusable and very frustrating to use, which is why you're losing sales. If I were you, I'd re-structure and re-design the site again. It won't do you any good as it is right now.

Hope this helps.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you mPeror for the great advice. I wish I could give you a high five!
    I like how you laid it out point by point and used the image. I couldn't of asked for more. At first the idea of redesigning a site I just poured my heart into for a month seemed overwhelming. It is the correct answer to my problem. I forgot what kind of customers I was targeting: people who are pretty new to computers. They are having a difficult time using the site...like you said. You would find a lot of entertainment in my analytics. Once I get the ship to stop sinking...if you ever want a free logo or a link or something let me know. You really saved my butt. How are people going to buy from a site they can't figure out? Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by mPeror View Post
    Problem #1:
    The font you're using for your site, especially the images. It makes text harder to read, and it's not appealing.

Solution #1:
    Use a more web-friendly sans-serif text, like Arial.
    I will be redesigning the site in Arial.

Quote Originally Posted by mPeror View Post
    Problem #2:
    Your top navigation doesn't really seem like a navigation with click-able links. The problem here is that its using the same fonts your ads are using.

Solution #2:
    Change the font. Use a standard sans-serif font for your navigation to make it stand out more.
    I will try Arial for that too.
    Problem #3:
    You're using two top navigation bars. The one with the packages is big and orange, which is enough to make it look like the main navigation bar, making the actual main navigation bar look as a sub navigation bar. That definitely will confuse visitors.

Solution #3:
    Get rid of the orange bar (with the links to those services, I'll tell you where to put them in a moment), keep the main navigation bar up there alone, and re-format it to actually look like a top-level navigation and attract visitors attention.
    Will do!
    Problem #4:
    You're wasting so much space above the fold (the area visitors see without scrolling) with an image and some ad that's hard to read. You could've used that area to promote your main services since you only have 3 of them (or so it seems).

By the way, the same problem exists in other pages. You're wasting so much space above the fold just for placing a pretty image.

Solution #4:
    Something like this for example (sorry, no time for details):
    http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/5263/servicesmh3.jpg
    Thanks for the image. I was thinking of cutting down the services offered and just focusing on custom and premade logos for now.

Problem #5:
    What is "Gallery" (the link in the top navigation)? is it a gallery of the owner's pictures? is it something else? what is it?

Solution #5:
    That's why you need to rename to "Portfolio". That's what it's called conventionally.
    I will use the idea too.

Thank you for your help. You were very helpful.

Staniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Staniel, I appreciate your offer.

I forget to mention an important issue: avoid linking to your site's pages using banners (or anything that looks like an ad). Users unconsciously ignore anything that looks like an ad. This is called banner blindness.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does your site do. It sells logos. When I get there I see a lecture of words. Show off your work. Your gallery should be on your front page with your selling points. If you don't like that idea, then you have to make your gallery pop out! Right now, it's tucked in the second nav bar, in small text. It took me a while to find it. Become a salesman and show off your service!
    I live in Madison. Where in the W1RLD do you live?

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the page was slow to load - i started browsing elsewhere whilst waiting

i dont know what your site does within 10 seconds of visiting - you need to make this ridiculously obvious to guests. Put something under "what makes dollar logo design unique" like - "we make custom logos and designs for clients who blah blah blah..."

On the home page I dont see ONE logo or example of your work - people want visuals!

theres FAR too much text on the page - i dont want to read all of that rubbish - I just want to see some logos!!!!

dot point that stuff in the top right corner - it all blends in together and becomes awful to look at and read - again so texty, yuck!

where it reads "custom logos - $9" "logo animation starting at $29" ...why cant i click on these and see EXAMPLES????? That whole box does nothing! It should at least read click here for examples.

God, theres so much text on the home page I feel like leaving for that reason alone!

The presentation gallery is downright awful. A brick wall with picture frames? Change it!!! Keep the site clean and simple. White background, contemporary with the logos in some form of order thats visually appealing and easy to look at. I almost didnt see the navigation at the bottom either.

Think about usability and your end users - not colours and text. Of course they play a role to an extent but the most important thing is USABILITY and of course making conversions!

Im tired and going to bed, that should give you something to think about.

RJ

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To my eye the text headings don't stand out enough from the body text - they just look like bits of text that are in bold, and this makes the whole body of text difficult to scan quickly.

I'd capitalise the headings (sorry - I know you must have considered this and preferred uncapitalised), slightly increase the space between the end of the preceding text and the heading, and slightly decrease the space between the heading and the start of the following text.
    Dave
    Book Prize Information
    http://www.bookprizeinfo.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site isn't snappy enough... but the logos are alright so I don't think it is that. I actually might hire you to do a few logos for me for smaller sites I don't have time to work on. But overall I think your loss in revenue has to do any content changes... have you noticed a decrease in organic traffic?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick reply (from a n00b). The gallery faux-brick backdrop seems very noisy and clashes with your images. Background should fade away from the consciousness, but this one remains very conspicuous. Also, so much content below the line for the home page. Finally, the waterdrop image is really strange to me. Look closely (or obliquely) and see if you see anything rather funny... more at amusing. (My wife did not catch it until I pointed it out.)

Best luck!!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I want to thank everyone for your comments. You have been really helpful in redesigning the current website.

I wanted to comment back on every post but since I have only mastered quoting one person...

So here we go:

mPeror - Thanks for the tip on banner blindness. The web site does have that problem. Will fix it.

brdnwi - Thanks for tip on the gallery. It will be put front and center in the redesign. The text will also be kept to a minimal on the homepage.

RJ - Thanks for the many tips. It put the whole visual over text thing in perspective. The homepage as it is now has more writing than some newspapers. The idea was sell and SEO. Huge mistake. The redesign will be simple and highly visual. People will know right away what is offered.

toolatedave - Thanks for the heading tip. All headings will now be capitalized.

zealivity5 - Thanks for the compliment on the logos. I agree that the site is not "snappy enough." The redesign includes a newly redesigned logo for the website along with more logo examples of past work that potential clients might be interested in. I think I made a mistake in targeting the wrong group of people. More web 2.0 logos that I have done along with other website and small startup logos will be added to the portfolio. To answer your question: I did notice a decrease in organic traffic but I attributed that to a SEO mistake I made - I changed the name of the pages from underscores to dashes. Whenever you need those logos let me know. I work really hard on every logo job that comes my way.

rbfree - Thanks for the tips. The bricks will be gone in the redesign along with most of the words. About the image on the homepage, it is a drop of water...at least that was my intention. My brother did happen to see what you saw though and my wife, like yours, missed it until I mentioned it. The image will disappear with the most of what is on the site at this moment.

Thank you for all of your help. Tip, comments, and any other advice is always welcomed.

SitePoint Evangelist ramone_johnny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Show us a screenshot of the original design if you have one. The one that was making sales. I guess you need to ask yourself, whats the difference between the two???

RJ

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramone_johnny View Post
    Show us a screenshot of the original design if you have one. The one that was making sales. I guess you need to ask yourself, whats the difference between the two???

RJ
    Great question. I think simplicity would be the answer.

The original website was a lot smaller. The top menu bar had only four options. There was also a sidebar that included links to some information pages. The home page only had three short paragraphs versus the book report on the redesigned homepage.

The redesign I am working on is a really simple and user friendly website. More logos and other examples of past graphic work will be featured.

I will post a note when it is online to see if you think it is an improvement.

Thanks for the help!