SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

URL structure driving me mad for wordpress install, lots of cats lots of writers...

This is driving me crazy, I would love some advice...

I manage blog/web magazine with 50+ volunteer writers, we have a ton of categories and a lot of posts daily.

At first I thought it would be a good idea to add a keyword to every URL. So our first URL structure was:

(first 6 weeks) :www.domain.com/keyword/category/postname

I soon realized that because we have so many categories, all of them with child categories that the URL's were huge...

domain.com/keyword/category1/childcategory/postname

So I used the permalink migration plugin to change to help change our URL to:

(last 3 months) domain.com/category1/childcategory/postname

The editor and writers are now telling me they want to rearrange the categories and do some temporary features e.g. a series of posts on one subject.

Considering this, I get the feeling the categories could and will be changing in the future, especially if the traffic keeps growing.

As such, I think I should change the category structure to something that isn't going to keep being changed whenever their is a redesign or change in structure.

I was thinking:

www.domain.com/mm/dd/yy/postname

There are a LOT of posts and a lot of them are on the same broad subject each day, so the chance of repeated postname's are not tiny.

Questions:

1) Can you think of a better URL to go to that is going to be robust to change in the future and I can be confident we can stay with for the long term.
    2) How would you manage the URL change, I have 4 months worth of content sitting there with inbound links to certain URL's. I could use the permalink structure plugin, and hope that the first 6 weeks have no migrated (you can only use it for one structure change.
    3) Should I be monitoring google webmaster tools for 404's and If I do find them what should I do with the not found URL?

I really appreciate the help, this is driving me up the wall.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Is there something wrong with domain.com/postname/ or domain.com/postname.html?

2) if the url change is absolutely necessary I think there are plugins out there that will do all the redirecting for you. Make sure they are serving 301s

3) Yes, monitor webmaster tools. If 404s start showing up then something went wrong in step 2.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel the simplest would be domain.com/postname

However my concern is repeated titles/urls; let us say we were analyzing this problem with Engadget.com, and I as the editor tell you that I want to start running regular features. E.g.

Daily roundups: "Worse press releases today" | "The Morning Interview" | "24 hours in dugg down digg comments"
    Weekly roundups: "Fridays: this weeks best comments" "This week in Blu-Ray" "This week in keyboards"

Poor examples but the affect is there, it would be easy to see repeated urls. Wordpress amends duplicates by adding a number.

So the second week would be:

domain.com/worse-press-releases-today-2
    domain.com/the-morning-interview-2
    And so on and so forth.

I see two options;

1) Add a date domain.com/mm/dd/yy/%postname%
    2) Add topical content to the title e.g. domain.com/this-week-in-bluray-indies-back-with-the-crystal-skull

1) Is undesirable due to it being so deep and unattractive on a human level
    2) We run the risk of repeated URLs only differentiated by a trailing number. I have little faith in writers understanding or caring about the SEO implications.

I would genuinely appreciate further discussion on this, I find it interesting as well as a huge headache.

I should also add that the site in debate has 50+ non tech savvy writers, so the whole process has to be robust and reliable/automated.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More unique titles would be the best solution. That way a collision would be rare and an occasional "2" appended to the URL wouldn't be a big deal, not to mention the seo benefit. But if your writers insist on not being creative with titles then I would probably consider adding some extra stuff in the permalinks. maybe even domain.com/mmddyy-postname/ or domain.com/postid-postname/

Search This (run by members of this forum) has a weekly links feature and I think they just add the date to the title to avoid duplication. They also have a date based permalink structure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssandecki View Post
    I am so confused, did you post this in the wrong thread?

-----------------------

I am moving towards domain/date/postname

But would appreciate any other input.