Thread: Creperie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creperie

Hi Guys!
    I just uploaded my website www.fleurdesel.ie
    There are a few changes Im going to make, add pictures of the crÍpes on the menu pages. Maybe add a script to provide a quote for a party on the outside catering page.
    What do you guys think?
    Any comment/suggestion will be welcome!
    Thanks!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fixed widths and big headers seem to be all the rage! It's presenting a portrait page in a landscape screen that is pushing the content down the page. The content could easily fit on the page without scrolling if the space is used to better effect.

I am geting duplication of your footer links in Opera. At first I didn't recognise these as links, they don't look like links.

A little point, if you use "index.html" for the home link, this is a new request to the server for those that entered on your homepage. Using "/" gives the cached homepage in an instant.

Otherwise it looks good. Neat and tidy, has everything it needs. A good piece of work.
    Charles Sweeney
    FormToEmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the page background a lot, but as the last poster says, there's a lot of it in a 1280*1024 screen. At less than 600 pixels, the main content really is quite narrow.

Having said that, it is quite artistic, so I wouldn't go for full page just yet, and as I have said, the background is very impressive.

I disagree about the bottom links. By the words alone I knew they were links. Personally I would have them smaller and less noticeable because they do not add a lot of commercial value to the website.

Your <h3>the world of crÍpes, both savoury and sweet</h3> on the homepage doesn't look right in Firefox. Not distinct enough.

I like the way you did the content in the specialities and locations page. I've always been a fan of websites that do that.

Good work.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice design, just one suggestion, get rid of the labels above the footer links, they look redundant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So yummy, neat and mouth watering.

Great job.

Should remove the duplicate label/bottom nav.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for the constructive comments.

Concerning the bottom links, I will make them smaller.
    I will also chage the <h3>the world of cr&#234;pes, both savoury and sweet</h3>
    to make it more noticeable.

Also, on a SEO point of view, I would like to increase the traffic locally. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I should proceed?

Any other suggestions?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

few probs

The contact list on the sitemap page don't work and on links page Ireland on Ice link is almost impossible to click (firefox). Apart from this its not a half bad site. Totally works with the type of business you are running. I especially like the locations page where you hover over the links and image links and you get new info for that region. Good coding practise here.

Great site and good luck people.
    Visit my website design site at Vimbeee.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks themaker. I will fix that asap

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice overall. But like the others have said, the width is unattractive. Even at 1024x768, there's an awful lot of tablecloth. You should look into using a liquid/elastic layout. I also think the header image is a bit too big, but this is mitigated by the fact that it's very nice and changes on every page. That's a pretty nice detail.

Regarding your Contact Us page, you really ought to have a form there for people to email you from. I sometimes get put off emailing people/companies when they just provide an address and not a form. Maybe it's the laziness of switching to my email client (if it's open) or the fact that I feel that on a contact form one has to adhere less to email etiquette, because a contact form is more like quick message.

Also, unless you have excellent spam-killing software, you should obfuscate your email address on that page. Otherwise it will get harvested by spammers. The best method, I think, is to have the address as simple text, something like this:
    Code:
    info [at] this domain
    Then you can replace it with a nice link with the full address with javascript. There are very few people browsing with javascript disabled and those that are should be able to work out what the address is from that.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice page

Nice, accessible page. I agree with above commentary on the width. The background is cool but very demanding (of attention)... so maybe a wider page would offset its influence without losing its advantages.

The writing is nicely done -- direct and active. However one or two sentences in the home page are somewhat awkward and wordy. For instance, the first sentence is a complex compound sentence... meaning, err, that it contains lots of information. And, it's a bit awkward. I'd break it up, which always requires deciding exactly what information I want in each sentence and why. Eg,

In France, you can't go anywhere without finding carts or restaurants serving crÍpes. Whether in Brittany where the crÍpes originally started, or in Paris, we have crepes coming out of our ears... etc.

Whatever the best solutions, perhaps have someone read it aloud to you and see what you think. It's really worth the time.

Also, this sentence starts with a question and sort of wanders off into a pitch:

Are you planning a party or a function, small or large, and looking for great food delivered to your venue, then Fleur De Sel is what you've been looking for!

Maybe it should be:

Are you planning a party or a function? Small or large, we will deliver great food to your venue....

Again, that's not the right solution... but I'd still consider revising the sentence.

Hope this helps.

BTW, if this type of advice isn't appropriate for this thread, let me know. I would argue that verbal clarity is a necessary but insufficient condition for a good web doc.

SitePoint Enthusiast Patricksia2007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad looking site. However, I thihk there are still rooms for improvement.
    Below are my comments:

1) Header could be too big. Maybe you could consider reduce it.
    2) You might want to add in some introduction of what is this website about in your header.
    3) You might want to add in some interactive features such as epoll or chat box to increase the engagement level of your readers. epoll could also used to better understand your readers.

Hope that it will helps.
    Cheers!
    Step by Step Guide Setting up a proper online business
    Discover various Web Marketing Tips and Tricks
    Find out different internet business models to make money online
    Ways to work at home online without being scammed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your construtive comments.

Raffles, I agree that the width is an issue but I will stick to it for the time being as going to liquid/elastic layout would mean starting everything again from scratch. In the long term, I will definitely opt for that option.

rbfree, thanks for reading all the contents of the pages. I will rethink those sentences and pm you when I make the changes.

Patricksia2007, an interactive feature is for sure a good idea. I don't yet which one, or where I will integrate it but I will definitely go for it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the general consensus that there isn't much use of the available real-estate and for laptops/widescreen or high res systems it seems artificially small.

Other than that, it made me hungry

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two thumbs up!

First thumb: code/accessibility-wise, everything is great. It worked and looked great in every browser I threw at it (Opera 9, Firefox 2, IE 6 & 7, Maxthon 2, Netscape 9, Safari 3 for Windows, and Lynx), and both the CSS and markup validate everywhere. Plus, the code is all nice and clean.

Second thumb: the design itself is great. Elegant, clean, and downright charming. It honestly made me want to go out and get some crepes as soon as possible. You've mixed a very homey/country feel (the checked table cloth, the simple colours) with a dash of elegance (the logo, the script links at the bottom) excellently.

Overall, I couldn't find a thing I didn't like. (Ok, ok... I opened your site in Internet Explorer 5.01 just to watch it break and satisfy myself...) The markup is solid, the design is great - fantastic work!