SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General Linking Question

Outside of links that are traded with other websites, why should I link to any other website and drive traffic away from my own?
    Last edited by pinch; Feb 16, 2008 at 08:12. Reason: typo

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinch View Post
    Outside of links that are traded with other websites, why should I like to any other website and drive traffic away from my own?
    • Your users may find the site that your linking to useful
    • Out of courtesy because you've been influenced or are using examples from another site
    • Because you're quoting a piece of content from another site

I'm sure there's more but those are the few that spring to mind... the first one probably being the most important.

There's no search engine benefit as such though directly from linking to another site.

You may find that linking to another site also alerts them to your own site (if you send substantial hits their way and they're monitoring their stats. If someone has posted a link to one of my articles for example, then I usually visit their site and comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are you asking such a question in the first place? It should be commonsense.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are you asking such a question in the first place? It should be commonsense.
    Maybe for a Sitepoint Guru but not for everyone. I understand how links work, just wondering what benefit you get from it besides the informational side of it.

• Out of courtesy because you've been influenced or are using examples from another site
    • There's no search engine benefit as such though directly from linking to another site.Y ou may find that linking to another site also alerts them to your own site (if you send substantial hits their way and they're monitoring their stats. If someone has posted a link to one of my articles for example, then I usually visit their site and comment.
    This is exactly the information I was looking for. Makes sense, thanks.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to avoid giving people a reason to leave my site's full stop.

If I have to link to someone else, I make sure that it opens in a new window.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    If I have to link to someone else, I make sure that it opens in a new window.
    Not recommended for the following reasons...

• The target attribute is deprecated
    • If you use JavaScript then it isn't available to all users
    • People may not be aware the new window has opened which causes confusion (i.e. back button no longer working)
    • Generally poor for accessibility and screen reader users

Personally if I want to open a new window/tab I will do.

When browsing the web, if I click a link to an external site and it opens in a new window which I don't want, then I'll usually close the original window anyway as I can make my own decisions as to whether I want a new window. If I want to go back to the original site then I'm perfectly capable of doing so

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz View Post
    Off Topic:

Not recommended for the following reasons...

• The target attribute is deprecated
    • If you use JavaScript then it isn't available to all users
    • People may not be aware the new window has opened which causes confusion (i.e. back button no longer working)
    • Generally poor for accessibility and screen reader users

Personally if I want to open a new window/tab I will do.

When browsing the web, if I click a link to an external site and it opens in a new window which I don't want, then I'll usually close the original window anyway as I can make my own decisions as to whether I want a new window. If I want to go back to the original site then I'm perfectly capable of doing so
    All valid points (except the java script which applies to less than 1% of users) but it won't stop me doing it. You wouldn't believe how many people aren't capable of getting back to a site if a new one opens in the same window.

I didn't know Target was deprecated, but I'll continue to use it until browsers stop supporting it altogether and then replace it with whatever has come along to replace it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All valid points (except the java script which applies to less than 1% of users) but it won't stop me doing it. You wouldn't believe how many people aren't capable of getting back to a site if a new one opens in the same window.
    It's usually nearer 10% depending where you get your stats from. You may wonder who in this day and age use a browser without JavaScript? Well, for your average user they probably do but for a lot of business, their IT departments disable JavaScript company wide.

Also consider that mobile device usage is gradually rising for web surfers and hardly any of these devices support JavaScript.

I didn't know Target was deprecated, but I'll continue to use it until browsers stop supporting it altogether and then replace it with whatever has come along to replace it.
    You can still use it with a transitional doctype but if you use a strict doctype then it won't validate. I presume that with the HTML 5 doctype it won't validate either.

Also you haven't addressed the accessibility issues that I raised. What's your take on these?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's usually nearer 10% depending where you get your stats from. You may wonder who in this day and age use a browser without JavaScript? Well, for your average user they probably do but for a lot of business, their IT departments disable JavaScript company wide.

Also consider that mobile device usage is gradually rising for web surfers and hardly any of these devices support JavaScript.
    I'm going by the stats I've been seeing for my own sites over the years. I usually stay well away from javascript for all the reasons you stated but there are times to compromise and for me this is one of them.

You can still use it with a transitional doctype but if you use a strict doctype then it won't validate. I presume that with the HTML 5 doctype it won't validate either.

Also you haven't addressed the accessibility issues that I raised. What's your take on these?
    I am still using XHTML 1.0 Transitional so my pages validate ok.

As for accessibility, I normally put it above structural issues, all my sites will expand without collapsing, to one degree or another, I always use accessible techniques where I can but once again, some things have to give way to the importance, to me, of keeping people on my site, or my clients site.

To be honest Dave, it's rarely an issue, I just avoid designing external links into my sites as a rule. If I have no choice, I use _blank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinch View Post
    Outside of links that are traded with other websites, why should I like to any other website and drive traffic away from my own?
    Then I suggest you don't exchange links and stick to one-way link building. Makes more sense
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my content writers has a strategy of giving away a backlink to trusted resources, just to increase the authority of his fresh resource.

I don't know if this a viable strategy, but it might have some logics behind it.
    Backlinks inside blog posts + FREE content = Free Traffic System

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don't believe giving away backlinks will increase your authority with the search engines. What it will do, IMO, is increase your authority with your readers. If some of your readers own a site who's visitors may benefit from your more authoritative content, they may be more interested in linking to you. That's what increases your authority with the search engines.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Linking out to other sites that not make you look like an authority. It doesn't help rankings at all. If it did everyone would link to wikipedia to manipulate their rankings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Linking out to other sites that not make you look like an authority. It doesn't help rankings at all. If it did everyone would link to wikipedia to manipulate their rankings.
    Agreed!

Giving out links to authority sites are more for your visitors benefits and not for SERP rankings.
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok im looking for some free articles directory sites i have some but i need more ive herd these are the best place to get better search rankings but i don't know for shur
    FREE Internet Marketing Tips
    Bowling Tips and Techniques a Must for Bowlers!

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whomever gave you that advice needs to learn a lot more about SEO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one of the advantage also is that each link pointing to your site opens a new gateway for people to find you as they surf the web.