SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Wordpress and secret comments

Is it possible to post comments that only you (as admin) can read?

[ for instance, I would like to include a link or comment(s) on some posts - and I would like to be the only one
    able to see this content ]

Do you know the solution? Any idea?

Tricky thing
    Last edited by Lastbutnotleast; Feb 14, 2008 at 21:03.

Rent A Cop Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This plugin may work for you, although it seems kind of risky depending what you are trying to hide.

http://lordchaos.dominatus.net/wordpress-plugin-whisper

There has to be a way to sort comments by login id, if you know any programmers or start hanging out at wordpress sites to spread the idea until someone codes it.

Good Luck,
    Dan
    Dan's Site
    Some Current Sites:365 Puns! # Joke It! #
    Pride & Joy!
    Current Projects: ArcadeRat! # Scouting News # yW

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Dan! I do believe that's what I need

But why do you think it's risky?

In fact I would like to use this plugin to hide information I want to add for myself in order to manage the content of the blog

ie : I do write a post + I would like to add the sources of this information (a link for instance) just for myself and I will be able to check in the future if this information (through this link for instance) is still acurate
    Last edited by Lastbutnotleast; Feb 15, 2008 at 12:41.

Rent A Cop Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the plug in fails, all the hidden comments are available. If you uninstall the plug in, all the hidden comments are available.

Plus the issue with the RSS feed:
    It appears that there is currently a problem with Wordpress’s plugin hook which filters comment text…it doesn’t filter RSS text. I will look into it ASAP. In the mean time, please DISABLE comment feed by renaming your wp-commentsrss2.php to something else (e.g. wp-commentsrss2.old), until this problem is resolved.
    For what you are using it for its probably not a big deal. If you were keeping Top Secret Information it would be more of a concern.
    Dan's Site
    Some Current Sites:365 Puns! # Joke It! #
    Pride & Joy!
    Current Projects: ArcadeRat! # Scouting News # yW

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be a problem indeed and with new versions of WP it could be worse but as you noticed it is not top secret information so no big deal

Well - I would like to find a similar plugin or solution but without any bug

Thank you once again for the warning and the additionnal information

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

admin only comments

That plugin does look like most of the work has been done. I notice the RSS comment filtering problem was posted Aug 2006 and the author said "I'll get to it ASAP". I also notice a few *** This is a whisper message for ΛορδΧηαος! *** so I wonder if it's still compatible. It might be a good place to start though. Hacking it might be easier than starting from scratch. AFAIK there isn't anything close to it.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To bad there is no other solution

Thank you anyway

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

correction

I took a look at the plugin. I had mistakenly thought that the "*** This is a whisper message for ΛορδΧηαος! ***"s were the hidden message. But they are the "other person / not logged in" default text that indicates there is a hidden message. It is an interesting idea for a plugin though. If it wasn't so much work and I wasn't so behind on my other stuff I'd think about tackling it or something like it. It might be nice to have a table of "admin only notes".

EDIT:
    I looked a bit more and found "WP PostNotes" plugin. It seems simple enough. Basically it allows you to place tags in a post like
    <tag>admin note</tag> and filter out those tags and content when it's rendered. That is, it will only be seen in the "edit" view. It might work in comments too, if you add the filter to comments as well as posts. And it would probably need for the filter to be added to the RSS feed output too.
    Of course it's simplicity means some "features" are missing. Like being able to call up a list of them or even to know one was there without looking at it in "edit". Unless you put an always visible "special character" in the post like
    blah, blah, whatever. *<tag>admin note</tag>
    so the comment would show as
    blah, blah, whatever. *
    Last edited by Mittineague; Feb 15, 2008 at 15:01.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your contribution Mittineague

Well - I think that "admin only notes" (or comments) could be an interesting feature indeed