SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very bad idea to have to touch your customers code. That could end up being a true nightmare scenario and for free - thats just a bad idea.

Offer both and encourage your clients to migrate to the new platform. As far as PHP 4 not being supported - anyone who has been in this space for a few years knows that people do not have the time or inclination to fix projects that are not broken even if substantial advantages may exist. Legacy PHP 4 is going to be around for awhile and nudging your customers to make the switch is the best business solution.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a new security risk for PHP4 is discovered after they drop support, you will see hosts dropping it pretty damn quick! A lot will probably drop it anyway when support ends. I don't think legacy php4 is going to be around for a while at all.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good idea to notify your customers about the upgrade at least a week in advance, and explain that the upgrade might cause problems with existing websites. If there are problems after the upgrade you can deal with them on case by case basis.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm.. tough question. If the customer wants to upgrade then of course you'll charge..but if the host is forcing the upgrade w/o customer's consent... hm... to me, it sounds like it should be free because customer paid for a working product.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me this issue is like car manufacture recall.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sg707 View Post
    Hm.. tough question. If the customer wants to upgrade then of course you'll charge..but if the host is forcing the upgrade w/o customer's consent... hm... to me, it sounds like it should be free because customer paid for a working product.
    But his host forced it on him...

I would offer to make scripts that you have written compatible for free, and offer to recode using the new PHP5 features for a cost. Anyone using a third party piece of software will have to upgrade themselves (like osCommerce), or pay you to upgrade. It should be part of your contract that upgrades may be required in the future at a cost.

You can't really compare the web to the car industry...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest that you offer both PHP versions and let customers choose easily what version to use on per application basis.

Make them put .php4 as the extension for files that should be executed as PHP 4 scripts to make sure they will prefer to use PHP 5 compatible applications in future.

Just my two cents.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With so little time remaining for PHP4 there is little point in setting up alternatives that include that option now unless it can be done in just a few minutes. Perhaps a year or so back it would have been worth making the time for such a setup. If you are going to offer two versions of PHP now then you should be offering 5 and 6.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.......I think you should have both options for your clients and if you think that client should pay you then it will be btter to mention it in your termsand conditionsfor further.......

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is not explicitly stated in the terms and conditions, I don't think it is ethical to charge your clients any extra cost for upgrading. Even if it is stated, advance notification of a few weeks will give you the goodwill.
    Interesting Soccer Analysis on SoccerNet Live

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely keep PHP 4 and PHP 5. Offer PHP 5 as the default and give people the choice of PHP 4 as well. I wouldn't go as far as fixing clients scripts to be compatible.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwayne12 View Post
    Definitely keep PHP 4 and PHP 5. Offer PHP 5 as the default and give people the choice of PHP 4 as well. I wouldn't go as far as fixing clients scripts to be compatible.
    The OP asked for whether he should charge the customer for upgrading their scripts or not. I really doubt that he has the choice to keep both PHP4 and PHP 5. Besides, what you're suggesting has huge potential of turning into a nightmare some time down the line considering that all support for PHP 4 will be dropped on 8/8/2008.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ServWise.com View Post
    Correct, unfortunately there are still a lot of people using applications like oscommerce that need it on, you need to offer a compromise solution or loose these types of customer altogether.
    OSC has a contribution that allows you to turn it off.

As for upgrading clients ... We have all our clients on a maintenance plan that they pay for each month. That plan includes content updates, SEO, and minor software upgrades (usually e.g. v2.1 to 2.3). Major software upgrades (usually from e.g. v2.x to v3 .x) are necessary from time-to-time and cost extra.

If the work to perform the upgrade is minor, do it as a gesture of goodwill and make your client happy. Otherwise, give them a quote for the necessary upgrade. You could offer to let them pay it out over a few months if they've proven they can be trusted, and that could still make you look good in their eyes.