SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need to run an existing site on a LAN.

I am currently trying to transition a website from one CMS to another.

I need to configure and build the new CMS so that it retains the same features of the previous CMS.

I don't want to interrupt service to the website, thus I need to build the new one offline and then switch the two.

Can a domain server with the same domain structure of the WWW be run on a LAN?

I was thinking of configuring a FreeBSD server with apache on a private IP LAN.
    Then I would run a DNS server to emulate the internets domain structure (.com, .net and .org).

How is this commonly done?

Thanks

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Download XAMPP or WAMP and run the web server on your own box -- no need to go to the hassle of setting up a separate physical box when you're the only one using the site. Edit your hosts file to resolve the domains to your own computer (127.0.0.1). And edit the httpd.conf to serve those domains from where you saved the files locally.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, thank you very much.

If I wanted to have more than one site, the setup I described above would be one way to do it correct?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running more than one site is just a matter of adding more VirtualHost entries to the httpd.conf for each domain you want to serve.