SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Database access through WCF services

I've built an application using c# .net and sql. i connected the front end to the database directly through connection strings. Now I have to migrate that version to a 3 tiear application that uses WCF in windows services to access the database. Does anyone have a clue how to go about this? Or can you point me to a site that will have a solution.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) create a new windows service project for the WCF tier.
    2) migrate the logic into this project by defining interfaces for services and data contracts.
    3) implement the logic classes in the WCF tier. Create backing classes for datacontracts. Implement the database querying and updating here. Obtain the connectionstring from the config file.
    4) implement the service so that it hosts the service contracts.
    5) refactor the web tier to use the WCF tier instead of database connections.
    6) profit.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    err yeah. That would probably be useful to someone who already knew how to work with wcf. That was a very high level description. Is there anyway you could be a little more specific.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect you are in a bit over your head here. This isn't exactly the sort of cut and dried thing that lends itself to an easy 3-page internet solution. First place to start--making the app truly 3-tier. Once you have that nailed, the rest is comparatively easy.