SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few SEO questions ?

1. Are querystrings a problem for SEO ? For example: http://www.myforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=3

2. Are over 10 meta tags a problem ?

3. Is having to entirely different titles in homepage and forum a problem ?

Thanks

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wii View Post
    1. Are querystrings a problem for SEO ? For example: http://www.myforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=3

Much less of a problem than it used to be. I'm regularly seeing URLs with several parameters being indexed quite happily by Google, it's more of a duplicate content issue now.

2. Are over 10 meta tags a problem ?

You mean 10 separate meta tags? What are they? Shouldn't be a problem but are they really all necessary? Some bots will only scan a certain number of characters down a page so if your meta tags have a ridiculous amount of characters in them it might hurt you.

3. Is having to entirely different titles in homepage and forum a problem ?

Each page's Title should reflect the contents of that unique page so different titles is not a problem.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Ok, I just see many claims that querystrings are not as good as clean URLS which is not always possible when using forums.

2. They are just some words from the page title and description, I read several places that there should be under 10 words, don´t know if this is true.

3. Ok, thanks

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2. They are just some words from the page title and description, I read several places that there should be under 10 words, donīt know if this is true.
    You're talking about the number of keywords within the meta tag.

10 words will be absolutely fine but don't waste any time on it as search engines no longer use meta keywords for determining search engine rankings so it's really irrelevant.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    titles of every page must be different from each other, and the title should me limit up to 60 characters only.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz View Post
    10 words will be absolutely fine but don't waste any time on it as search engines no longer use meta keywords for determining search engine rankings so it's really irrelevant.
    This is not to say that it's a complete waste of time, but indeed, don't make this a focus, it doesn't affect rankings.

From the FAQ: Search Engine Optimization
    Meta Tags

The large majority of search engines do not use Meta Tags as part of their ranking algorithm. The most notable exception is Yahoo which does use them (at least the meta keyword) but it's weight in their algorithm is extremely low and essentially has no influence on a high ranking (it may be useful to jump up you from the 1,000th position or so). Some will claim Google uses Meta tags in its algorithm. This is entirely untrue. Google, however, will use a meta description tag if it is unable to discern a description for a webpage on its own (if the page has no text and no description in the open directory [dmoz] the it is likely Google will use the meta description tag in its SERPs). Please note that it is only using this description in its SERPs, not its algorithm.

Should you use Meta Tags in your site? Yes. They do have some affect in some search engines and even though that effect is almost zero it is still more then zero so is worth the time.

How much time should I spend on my Meta Tags? Ten minutes. Write a nice concise description of your page and throw in a sampling of keywords (which you should have them handy if you've optimized your pages properly). You should spend no more time then this on them. Use your time to promote your site and get quality inbound links.

How many keywords should I use? As many as you want. If you start to think you may have too many, you probably do. This means you need to divide your page into subpages with each one taking its own topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thanks.

What about the querystrings ? Should I not worry about that either ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From Google...
    Yes, Google indexes dynamically generated webpages, including .asp pages, .php pages, and pages with question marks in their URLs. However, these pages can cause problems for our crawler and may be ignored. If you're concerned that your dynamically generated pages are being ignored, you may want to consider creating static copies of these pages for our crawler. If you do this, please be sure to include a robots.txt file that disallows the dynamic pages in order to ensure that these pages aren't seen as having duplicate content. In addition, you might consider creating and submitting a detailed Sitemap of your pages using the Sitemaps component of our webmaster tools. Our webmaster tools are an easy way for you to submit all your URLs to the Google index and get detailed reports about the visibility of your pages on Google. You can automatically keep us informed of all of your current pages and of any updates you make to those pages. Please note that submitting a Sitemap doesn't guarantee that all pages of your site will be crawled or included in our search results. To learn more about Sitemaps and webmaster tools, please visit our information page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In other words, querystrings is a problem....hmmm

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not necessarily, URL's with 2, 3 or even 4 parts don't normally have any problems getting listed in my experience. Of course, as the Googlefaq states it is a good idea to submit a sitemap anyway.

Forums URL strings only usually have 1 or 2 parts anyway, even this page only has one - showthread.php?t=531896

Of course if you go mad and have, say, long 200 character URL's some SE spiders may hit problems, session ID's can also cause problems as well.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Calyxto~ View Post
    titles of every page must be different from each other.
    They SHOULD be different.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csswiz View Post
    You're talking about the number of keywords within the meta tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebirth Studios View Post
    This is not to say that it's a complete waste of time, but indeed, don't make this a focus, it doesn't affect rankings.
    Meta keywords are a complete waste of time. It's only meta description that is worth bothering with.
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard that Yahoo and MSN still use the keyword meta tag in their algorithm.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junki View Post
    I have heard that Yahoo and MSN still use the keyword meta tag in their algorithm.
    I don't know if they do or not, but if they do then this is indicative of why they are both so far behind Google in search.
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy DaveWoods's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalreturns View Post
    I don't know if they do or not, but if they do then this is indicative of why they are both so far behind Google in search.
    It is worth doing as some search engines may still use meta keywords as part of their algorithm.

It's unlikely to make much difference but if it does bring you one extra person who becomes a customer then it's probably worth your time.

But don't waste much time on it. You should already know what keywords/phrases your site is focusing on (if you don't then you have bigger problems) so just paste them in your meta keywords and be done with it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, before I had over 30 meta keywords, it´s now down to 9, should be ok, better than nothing, I guess.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well, before I had over 30 meta keywords, itīs now down to 9, should be ok, better than nothing, I guess.
    A keyword is a clue to what a page is about. If your page is about nine different things, chances are it's poorly optimized for the search engines. Keywords should be relevant to the topic of the page information.

Although META keywords don't count with search engines, I still use them for submission to small, human maintained, niche directories and as an easy reference to remember what I want to target on a page when it comes time to update the content.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in my site, i use 15 keywords. i think it helps.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junki View Post
    They don't. It's easy enough to test yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once saw a very cool website that did free SEO tests when entering the URL, but I can´t find it anymore ?!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    querystring is not a problem, but now meta tag dont have any value so need to add. if yo uar targeted in one keyword the use same title other wise use diff its not a problem.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In other words, querystrings is a problem....hmmm
    No.

As I said in my first reply, and as the excerpt that Rebirth posted says, it's more of a duplicate content problem, it's not the URL that's the problem in itself. Any parameter that can have more than one value can create multiple pages with identical content. If you have several parameters in a URL that can all have multiple values, you have a duplicate content nightmare waiting to happen.

"If you do this, please be sure to include a robots.txt file that disallows the dynamic pages in order to ensure that these pages aren't seen as having duplicate content."
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try to have key word density of about 2-5% and meta tag 5-7 that will be good

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hawashp View Post
    try to have key word density of about 2-5% and meta tag 5-7 that will be good
    Keyword density percentages are a thing of the past as are keyword META tags. Search engines use neither of them in determining the relevance of a page.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the title of the website ? Is it best to have your main keyword as the first word in the title ?