SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using logos with RSS feeds

Are there any legal issues over using logos alongside RSS feeds from other sites? I'm thinking in particular of large organisations like the BBC - embedding an RSS feed of news from their site with the BBC logo next to it.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think there might be an issue, you can always ask them for permission. Asking for permission is usually appreciated. They may have licensing office that deals with these requests.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks eruna, that is the approach I've taken, but waiting to hear back from some.

The flip side, though, is that another website is using our logo for the same purpose, and we have reason to believe people are mistaking that website as being owned by us. What recourse do we have to stop them using our logo or syndicating our news? We don't provide RSS feeds of our site's content, they are generating the feeds their end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't given them permission to show your content, them they are infringing your copyright, so you can contact their host and follow standard DMCA procedures to see that the content's removed from their site. I'd try asking nicely first, though.