SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Client-side scripting: Javascript or VBScript

Has anyone got any pros and cons for using Javascript over VBscript or vice-a-versa
    Last edited by David.cook1; Mar 17, 2002 at 15:29.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Javascript is a standard supported by most browsers. VBScript only works in IE.

That's all you need.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

excellent arguement, well structured.
    Thank you very much

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never programmed in VBscript. But this is what I have heard. (I do know javascript I might add).

Out of the box vbscript has more power. Its functions tend to be better. HOWEVER javascript has more support, meaning more browser use it, based on the c-syntax (I love c syntax) and with the inclusion of oop it makes it very flexible in its power. Simply put given time javascript is more powerful and flexible than vbscript.

BTW there will be people that pop in here possibly saying javascript isn't an oop. Well they are partially right it is a prototype based oo scripting language giving it a large amount of oop power. For me it was javascript all the way
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

I've definately got to agree with Maelstrom! VBScript can definately be powerful with ActiveX and everything and you can achieve some neat effects in IE, but JavaScript is just the standard, supported by all browsers. And JavaScript is definately more powerful than most people believe and is an object-oriented (prototype-based) language; I wrote two good articles on this for SitePoint

aDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should also remember that Javascript is not just the de facto standard, it's the W3C one too, in the form of ECMAScript. W3C standards are only going to get more important as access devices get more diverse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I program for IE only so I use both. I use VBScript for modals. It gives you tons of control for defaults, icons, buttons etc... and i call them from my javascript.

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Arielladog
    Hey,

I've definately got to agree with Maelstrom! VBScript can definately be powerful with ActiveX and everything and you can achieve some neat effects in IE, but JavaScript is just the standard, supported by all browsers. And JavaScript is definately more powerful than most people believe and is an object-oriented (prototype-based) language; I wrote two good articles on this for SitePoint

aDog
    And if you want to learn prototyping javascript you must read those articles.

http://www.webmasterbase.com/article/470
    http://www.webmasterbase.com/article/473
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.