SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Can somebody recommend a group/community/collaborative platform/portal, please?

Hello,

I do web sites, but unfortunately I do not know anything about managing a group of people. Please let me know if this is not the right forum of where to post this question.

I need something that helps to organize a set of charity working groups around a open source or free collaborative platform.

I do not know if it is recommended that they use some of the communities portals that are around like MySpace, Bebo, Facebook, etc to create their group, or an open source software that runs under linux shared server.

Can somebody suggest something good and simple to use, with chats, forums, calendars, events, galleries, perhaps projects?

Any insight is very much appreciated.

Best regards
    joejac

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    tangler.com or ning.com are sites where you can set up custom forums/groups, however i'm iffy on if you can run them privately by invite. The other option would be to get free hosting and run a forum. If you are looking for project management have a look at basecamp.com.

Hope these suggestions help. I know of a good free host that supports the open source forums if you want to know about it PM me and I'll dig out the details. You don't even need a domain as they will give you a subdomain to work from.