SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have been asked to make this, not got much php exp!!

Hi All, I've been asked by my company(as the only webby sort of person) to make a small site which different people can log into and slightly personalise. This will include a top image, a logo, and 4 sections which will contain a calendar, message board, newsletter and links. Now, I havent done loads of php but I have a basic background in it. What would be the best plan of attack? obviously the database for users to login would be important, but I was thinking I could possibly do a few variations on a simple blog for the 4 sections?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Simulation Cricketer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Message board sounds like the key feature. My suggestion is downloading a forum software (phpBB, SMF, vB, IPB... etc - whichever one you like best) and using that users table as the main user database. Also use the login integration with the forum software. In fact, everything you are asking for could be done by adding existing MOD's to said forum software.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So will that solution be able to show it all on the same page? unfortunately I wasn't too clear on that part, all of these different sections are all part of the same page, and each whole page makes up a unique users site. Sort of a bit like a facebook profile! Talk about being thrown in at the deep end! lol!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would the calendar,newsletter, and links populate? An admin for that site? Sounds like it'd be easiest to create those from some CMS package or a simple custom CMS, and have the forum on its own (minimal integration), only integration you'll have to figure out how to auto login to the forum when the user logins to their account.

You're probably better off convincing your company to hire a programmer to do this whole thing if you have very little exp in PHP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple to the point, download Joomla, preferably 1.0.12 since 1.5 doesn't have many extensions yet (http://www.joomla.org) and then go to the extensions area and download CommunityBuilder (this will require some mods to get it to work the way you want) and find a nice forum add on for joomla, they exist. The forum idea with an added mod for the other functions is a good idea, I know many places that do this, but most of the guys programming it know a heck of a lot about PHP since they extremely modify the forums to fit their needs. I agree with wonshikee, not to try and get a new client here, even though I'm for hire, haha but this is why freelancers exist man, we do this daily and have a lot of experience in the setup and all.

But that aside, based on what you just said there I would, if I was doing the site, so as not to edit to much of a forum, big task. I would download something like joomla or mambo, joomla only because it's very user friendly while as mambo needs a lot of editing.