SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where should I store my database?

I'm developing a site using ASP with Ultradev and MySQL. At present, the setting in WinMySQLadmin for the data folder is E:/mysql/data.

Should I change this folder to point to a folder within my wwwroot folder of IIS 5?

What I can't quite fathom out at the moment is - when the site is finished and I upload it to my host, where does the database live in the server?

In other words, if I carry on with my setup as it is [i.e. data folder = E:/mysql/data] then it's not going to work on the host, is it? My guess is, and I'm probably going to answer my own question here!, that I should move the database folder to the wwwroot folder and change the setting in WinMySQLadmin to something like this - E:/Inetpub/wwwroot/mysite/data.

If I do this, when I upload the finished product to the host, will the databse connection work?

Confused? I used to be but I'm not so sure now!

All help will be appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Databases shouldn't be stored on your root folder. Always put them below the root. Somebody might be able to download your database if you keep it in a active area of your website.

If you using ASP you might be able to use the "Mappath" to connect to your database so it works on both systems that you use. I don't know the code, but I'm sure somebody else does.