SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New MySQL user..Need Advice

I have just started using MySQL and am making my first attempts to get a small trial database established.

I am using a Cobalt Raq4 server and have installed MySQL and PHP4 but I seem to be encountering a problem to which I cannot find a solution.

I log in to my server via Telnet, navigate to MySQL and login as root giving the password I set after installation.....and I get the mysql> command prompt.

When I try and perform any Commands I get the following error mesage "ignoring query to other database" and it doesn't seem to matter what I do, the error message is always the same, even if I switch to the "test" database.

Consequently I can neither CREATE, SHOW or DROP anything......does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks and regards
    netkwake
    Last edited by netkwake; Mar 17, 2002 at 11:10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the database selected that you're intending to use? Once you login, type this:
    Code:
    mysql> USE [databasename];
    Thus, if the name of my database was site_point, I would use:
    Code:
    mysql> USE site_point;
    After doing this, it should return a line saying something to the effect of "database changed."

On an additional note, you may set the database to use before logging in by using the following format:
    Code:
    mysql -h [hostname] -u [username] -p[password] [database_to_use];
    Hope this helps -- I'm not familiar with Cobalt servers specifically or what server environment they use. However, if this is not the problem, post back and let us know.

-Colin
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply to my despairing

The cobalt is Unix based and runs Apache web server.

I log on ok but not if I specify the database name, I type my host info followed by the username and then -p, I am prompted for my password which is seemingly accepted and then I get the command prompt.

The stuff below is taken straight from my Telnet session and shows the Commands and responses I get.

[root mysql]# mysql -h localhost -root -p
    Enter password:
    Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
    Your MySQL connection id is 63 to server version: 3.23.36

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer

mysql> use netkwake
    Database changed
    mysql> CREATE DATABASE netkwake2;
    Ignoring query to other database
    mysql>

The respnse is always the same even if I request info via SHOW TABLES or SHOW DATABASES.

I haven't physically created the Netkwake database yet but the responses are still the same if I use the Test database installed with MySql......"the problem is of course that I cannot create the netkwake database because it won't let me".

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks
    netkwake

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gulp: sorry

I have just solved the problem............I hadn't created the netkwake database therefore I couldn't log into it.........I therefore logged straight into test and then created the netkwake database.

Everything now appears to be ok.......sorry if I have wasted any of your time..

cheers
    Ken