SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need advice on pricing structure (credits vs regular)

Okay i tried to find some cons and benefits about this subject but couldnt. So if you could help me - I was looking to setup a new website idea that was using the CREDITS or TOKEN method (basically you give people tokens to spend on the site - sitepoint uses this actually to post sites for sale and so forth).

My two plan ideas or possibilities is 1) the token method - give each visitor based on plan 10,20, or 50 tokens per month for $xx a month and a regular listing is lets say 3 tokens and sponsored is 5 tokens. OR do away with the token method and do regular billing of $xx a month and then like a sponsored listing would be extra $1 or whatever.

So im wondering what do you like better if you were like a vendor or person using a website. Do you like the token method or a regular flat rate pricing system and why ... why do you like one or the other or why do you not like one or the other. (Advantages/disadvantages).

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would always rather see a price in dollars, tokens are confusing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the "token" idea works well if your customers will be making many small purchases.

For example, I use istockphoto.com quite a bit. I usually buy images that range from about $1 to about $10. I'd much rather buy a lump of credits (especially at the discounted rate) and then just use the credits any time I need an image. It would be a huge hassle to have to break out the credit card every time I need to buy a $1 image.

If your customers will be on more of a subscription basis though, I think a "token" model might confuse things a bit. For example, I don't think I'd be very interested in istockphoto if they were charging my card for more credits every month, regardless of whether or not I need them.

Hope that helps.
    Now Hiring
    Looking for (x)html coder/ php programmer/
    WordPress expert for project work. PM me with
    your rates and work samples if you're interested.

SitePoint Enthusiast imagineinternet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the level of services, and if there are several of them. Using the IStockPhoto.com example, when we buy cheap images, we pay less. On SitePoint, if I post more contests (and we do!), then we pay more. A token system allows for a sliding scale, where the subscription model is fixed. The token system would allow you to charge for the services actually used.

Another option would be to have a subscription with "upgrades".
    Uptime + Quality + Keyword + Popularity Monitoring
    EZ Website Monitoring

Go Web Solutions - LOVE your website!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really appreciate everyones feedback. My idea revolves around a bidding system so each bid would be a token, and a sponsored bid would be 2 tokens lets say. Phone verification code be a token and you can earn tokens by writing articles or posting pics as well.

So im thinking the token idea might be good as this way everyone can bid as a sponsored without paying extra for it or getting out the card as you mentioned.

Otherwise i would need plans to have maximum pictures, maximum bids, or pay per additonal site extras or whatever.

So hearing that what do you say?