SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Web Setup Project

I was wondering how i could create a web setup project that would call an .exe file after installation...? I have created the .msi file and packaged the .exe with it. but after installation nothing happens... i.e my .exe is not called, it is simply deployed to the user's folder i specified... I want the exe to run automatically... pls help

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you want the .exe to run?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty of good reasons--like a command line utility that brushes up some data. Anyhow, you need to look into custom installer steps.

PS: or the lazy way--just make a batch file to call your installer then call the utility.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is it's a web setup project and there is no way i can know what the user will name the virtual directory, hence i dont have any folder reference from where i can make the call... I was looking at the nested installation option, where I can use a custom action database editor like Orcas. I have not been able to lay my hands on the so called "Orca" what do you guys think? Do you really think the batch file option will work?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar with Orcas, so I'm really not following you here. But I think you will want to do a custom installer action, which will have access to nicities such as where the user put the folder.

Side note: it is probably just me, but I hate web installers. I don't like anything touching my IIS setup and prefer to just drop files in a location and setup the virtual directories my own self.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you give me tips on how to proceed with the custom action that has access to the "nicity" of the folder location? I am trying to download install shield installer.. and would let you know what I find out as soon as I get it to work.. thanks for your posts... I might even try wise installer too

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this article should help you out. But I can't vouch for it as I have not really done this stuff--our installs are generally "run the MSIs then run some batch files." But we aren't shrink-wrapping software either.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the article, it was really very helpful

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile At Last Finally Solved

You guys don't wanna know what I went through just to solve this problem. I had to use Wise Installer. Personally I think windows installer is crap, It's just a marketing gimmick.... Thks guys