SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP with PWS => Security Alert

I just installed PHP using the PHP 4.1.2 installer at php.net. I installed it onto a Win98 system with Microsoft's Personal Web Server (PWS). I wrote a simple .php file (from Kevin Yank's book) and saved it to c:/inetpub/wwwroot. When I run it, I get:

Security Alert! PHP CGI cannot be accessed directly.

I have put everything reasonable I can think of for the value of doc_root in php.ini, including c:\inetpub\wwwroot. No matter what I do, I get that Security Alert message.

Can anyone help me with this?

Talk to the /dev/null Theiggsta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should try using Apache instead of PWS, mainly because apache can use the module instead of a perl interpreter. This cuts down a security risk as well, so I suggest giving apache a try http://www.apache.org/ if your interested.
    Aaron "Theiggsta" Kalin
    Pixel Martini
    Ruby and Rails Developer

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too found that the PWS had overridden the Apache setup even after installing it. I was not sure in the end why this was happening, although I simply removed all software from my system (PHP, mySQL, PWS) and started fresh, PWS simply suxor.

Excuse my french....

I had edited all files to the correct settings to work with my localhost and could not rectify this. I would suggest removing everything and re-installing!!!
    Last edited by cyborg; Mar 17, 2002 at 05:49.