SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take the SitePoint Reader Survey: Win a Nintendo Wii + Guitar Hero III!

Update: This survey is closed, and the winner has been announced.

Take the SitePoint Reader Survey and Win a Nintendo Wii + Guitar Hero III!

We at SitePoint HQ want your input on how we can improve sitepoint.com – and we're prepared to bribe you with shiny toys to get it!

Read below to learn why we're running the survey, what the terms and conditions are, and what you could win. When you're ready, go ahead and ...

Weeeeeee! We Wanna Wii!

One lucky person will score themselves the hottest console on the planet – a Nintendo Wii, complete with Guitar Hero III (Legends of Rock) and not one but TWO guitars, so you can rock out with your buddies in your own lounge room. The total value of this prize is over USD $500!

All you have to do is fill out our survey, which should take no longer than five minutes of your time.

What Is This Survey For?

We'll be using the results of this survey for two things:
    • To shape sitepoint.com into the site that YOU want it to be
    • To gather data that we can use to bring more relevant advertisers to the site

Is This The Same As The State of Web Development Survey?

No, it's quite separate and asks very different questions. Last year's "State of Web Development" survey asked a huge sampling of web developers questions about the technologies they worked with and the tools they used to do their job. It was the first survey of its kind that created a snapshot of the web development industry.

The SitePoint Reader Survey, on the other hand, is for internal use – we're interested in knowing which parts of the site you love, and which parts you think need some work. The results of this survey will help shape the next generation of sitepoint.com and will influence the type of content that we publish.

Do I Have To Be In The USA To Be Eligible To Win?

No! Readers in other countries are encouraged to complete the survey, and are also eligible to win! If for some reason we are unable to ship your prize (e.g. shipping difficulties), then you will receive an Amazon gift voucher of equal value.

Why Give Away Two Guitars?

We have a copy in the SitePoint office, and from experience we can confirm that Guitar Hero III is a lot of fun when rocking out on your own, but that it's even more fun when you play with your friends. Whether you team up to play the lead guitar and bass line, or you challenge each other to determine who is the ultimate rock god, the choice is yours.

Terms & Conditions
    1. By submitting the SitePoint Reader Survey, you are accepting these terms and conditions.
    2. The survey will be online for two (update: make that four) weeks from Monday, February 11.
    3. We will not share your email address with any third party, nor will your survey responses be correlated with your email address. Read our privacy policy for more information.
    4. The prize will be awarded to the person whose provides the best answer to the final question in the survey. The decision of which response is the best will be determined by SitePoint, and no correspondence will be entered into.
    5. The winner of the competition will receive one Nintendo Wii game console, one copy of Guitar Hero III (Legends of Rock) and a second guitar controller. If SitePoint is unable to deliver any part of this prize, the winner will receive an Amazon gift voucher to the value of USD $500. SitePoint reserves the right to decide whether to award an Amazon gift voucher in lieu of the advertised prize.
    6. If there are any duties, taxes or brokerage fees payable, they will be the responsibility of the recipient. The prize will ship from the USA.
    7. The winner will be notified by email, and the winner’s name will be published on sitepoint.com on Monday, 10 March.
    8. Entries are limited to one per person; if the winner is deemed to have submitted multiple entries, their eligibility to win the prize will be forfeited.
    9. Entries submitted after 11:59pm on Sunday, March 9, 2008 (Australian EST) will not be eligible to win.
    10. SitePoint reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions at any stage throughout the survey period.
    Last edited by mattymcg; Mar 11, 2008 at 16:26. Reason: Extended competition deadline
    I design beautiful, usable interfaces. Oh, and I wrote a kids' book.
    • Follow me on Twitter.
    • Read my blog.
    • Buy my book, Charlie Weatherburn and the Flying Machine.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattymcg View Post
    Entries submitted after 11:59pm on Sunday, February 24, 2008 will not be eligible to win.
    Any specific time zone, or just the latest possible happening of that time (ie. GMT +2359)?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The latest possible happening of that time is surely GMT + about 12 hours, the international date line is about half way round from the prime meridian :P

</pedantic>

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just joined the forum and entered the above, would love my own copy of GH3 ;o)

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done. But I'd like to see my idea come true rather than getting that... thing.
    Saul

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the chance to win a Wii! Looks like I decided to visit the forums on the right day.
    Apple Mac HQ - Apple/Mac News, Reviews, and More

SitePoint Addict silentcollision's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done, but it wasn't a particuarly well designed survey.

As a student, why am I getting asked questions about employment? They needed to be optional, otherwise its just providing false data. I'm also willing to bet quite a few people earn less than USD $50k. The income brackets aren't going to be very accurate.

Into another Dimension liam_uk7's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentcollision View Post

As a student, why am I getting asked questions about employment? They needed to be optional, otherwise its just providing false data. I'm also willing to bet quite a few people earn less than USD $50k. The income brackets aren't going to be very accurate.
    True, but usually the less specific questions are less important. So you may be right, but it also may be a case of them just wanting a very rough idea.
    Function - Great Design Meets Great Functionality

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
    The latest possible happening of that time is surely GMT + about 12 hours, the international date line is about half way round from the prime meridian :P

</pedantic>
    Yeah...that one...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did say the "best" answer, didn't you? Not necessarily the most useful one...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentcollision View Post

As a student, why am I getting asked questions about employment?
    I agree. The information you have obtained from me is unlikely to be of any use to you whatsoever.

I work for my university, so I answered the questions accordingly. But I really don't think Sitepoint cares about how much my university spends on their IT budget.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer, I was hoping I'd be the only one to notice this thread and enter...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a student, why am I getting asked questions about employment?
    Thanks for the feedback. We thought about making the employment and company budget questions only visible to those who answered in a certain way in previous questions (Survey Monkey allows for skip logic), but given that it would have introduced an extra page to list those questions separately, we opted for simplicity and the result was the approach you see. It's difficult to cater to everyone, while still keeping things as simple as possible (we didn't want it to take too much of people's time to complete) but we appreciate you letting us know and will take it into account the next time we run something like this.

Thanks again and good luck everyone.
    I design beautiful, usable interfaces. Oh, and I wrote a kids' book.
    • Follow me on Twitter.
    • Read my blog.
    • Buy my book, Charlie Weatherburn and the Flying Machine.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I am going to take the survey now...

Into another Dimension liam_uk7's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jantheman View Post
    Bummer, I was hoping I'd be the only one to notice this thread and enter...
    Function - Great Design Meets Great Functionality

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, that wasn't too painful. Sometimes surveys can be so long, thankfully this one was short and sweet.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    Well, that wasn't too painful. Sometimes surveys can be so long, thankfully this one was short and sweet.
    Not painful at all. I completed it and enjoyed it.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    980 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Some of those questions are a bit generic...

I work for a fortune 500 company. I'm sure we bought all those things several times over, but it's impossible to know in a huge company.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool just took it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? Just try my luck !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Q14 you need an option - because I have too

Nice survey though - for someone like me a business owner it does make sense - although when you asked about purchases personally - hmm that was a tad blank!!!
    Regular user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like an Associate's Degree option would be fitting in the education section.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a gr8 survey.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really didn't enjoy it and quit half way through.

While I realise you want to keep the number of pages down its just a wall of tick boxes.

Also if you want feedback for the site that's awesome, but it just looks like every other buying habit survey out there - until you hit page 4, by which time I was dis-enchanted.

Not trying to flame, just offering some feedback for consideration.