SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best practice for changing categories of posts in Wordpress

We need to change our category structure to reduce duplicate content, to help create a nav bar and generally tidy things up.

However our permalink rule has %category% in it, so by changing the category system we are going to be changing the URL's of a lot of old posts.

I was wondering I any one had some advice about best practice for doing this...

Should I closely watch the webmaster tools to see which URLs cannot be found and then specifically write redirection rules for each one?

Any advice would be great.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there's no way of avoiding the change of URL, then redirects are your best option. I would try and do it proactively - i.e write the rule before Google finds a 404. This wouldn't be too hard with a bit of regex if there is a reliable structure to the URLs.
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Category Base Killer - nuff said.

And as bigalreturns said, you might want to use a 301 redirect just to be safe, though I think the plugin takes care of that anyway. (Not that I would know - I use this before a blog or WordPress based site goes live anyway.)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    I'm not sure this is what the op is talking about. Sounds like they are renaming, removing, or adding (sub)categories to existing posts. If that's the case, then there are some plugins out there that will handle the redirects for you. Here's one
    http://scott.yang.id.au/code/permalink-redirect/