User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are blog comments good for backlinks?

I have heard that they are mostly nofollow links. Is blog commenting still a good way to get backlinks?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the blog you are commenting on - the same rules apply as for any other links.
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog comments are no more special then any other link as mentioned above. Overall the strategy isn't usually worthwhile due to nofollow being used on those links a majority of the time. If anything, comment on blogs that you really care about that are related to yours. You'll get some traffic that is targeted and maybe a few links out of it. But you'll also be contributing to someone else's website and may cause them to contribute in yours.

Error 404: Life not found silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's also the relevance factor.

If you can get the link with anchor text that you're targeting, it will help your SERP because you're increasing your relevance.

Aside from possible traffic, I can't see any other reason for doing it.
    It's 530 people, but do you really get it?
    ImgWebDesign - Web design in Buxton, High Peak, Derbyshire UK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed!

Traffic is also a valid reason to post on other blogs.

There are also dollow blogs worth participating in. Just keep the selection to relevant blogs similar to your niche.
    ClickXposure.com - PPC Management

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I gave up trying to build links through blog comments, for the reasons estated above. WordPress, Blogger and other Blogs softwares add the nofollow tag by default, so not many webmasters enable the links to be followed. And, obviously, you should just write in relevant blogs. I guess it depends on your niche, but personally I found very difficult to find any potential blogs where I could write.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SEO Madrid View Post
    Personally I gave up trying to build links through blog comments, for the reasons estated above. WordPress, Blogger and other Blogs softwares add the nofollow tag by default, so not many webmasters enable the links to be followed. And, obviously, you should just write in relevant blogs. I guess it depends on your niche, but personally I found very difficult to find any potential blogs where I could write.
    It's easy to check for, just open the source code and do a 'find' for nofollow, takes 10 seconds. I'm not saying that you didn't know that of course, juts offering a quick way of solving the problem for anyone who hadn't thought of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog commenting with the dofollow is good for backlinks. But you must think how to find the dofollow...
    Hot Trend: US$1,109.62 In 3 Days

SitePoint Enthusiast Patricksia2007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that it is good if you comment those relevant blogs?
    Step by Step Guide Setting up a proper online business
    Discover various Web Marketing Tips and Tricks
    Find out different internet business models to make money online
    Ways to work at home online without being scammed

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog commenting is good only for building backlinks as it is of nofollow links..... but you should comment on relevant site not on different blog just to build links.... It is link farming not link building....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by himanuzo View Post
    Blog commenting with the dofollow is good for backlinks. But you must think how to find the dofollow...
    Good point, you could just open the source code and do a 'find' for nofollow, takes 10 seconds.

Oh no, wait... I said that in the post right above yours!! So sorry.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    Good point, you could just open the source code and do a 'find' for nofollow, takes 10 seconds.

Oh no, wait... I said that in the post right above yours!! So sorry.
    If you were feeling adventurous then it could be fun to use PHP's curl functions to grab a list of related blogs, say from Google searches, Technorati etc., then automatically process them to see if nofollow was used in comments, and get a nice output of blogs worth commenting on (in terms of nofollow links anyway). Hmm I feel a project for tonight coming on...
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would find blog with topic that I would enjoy reading. Then I would check their follow tag. If they want to pass the link juice I would stay with them and make contributing comment. If they implement nofollow eventhough they give good information I would still find other blog to spend my time. There are other good blogs that give good information but still willing to pass the link juice.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redspace View Post
    I would find blog with topic that I would enjoy reading. Then I would check their follow tag. If they want to pass the link juice I would stay with them and make contributing comment. If they implement nofollow eventhough they give good information I would still find other blog to spend my time. There are other good blogs that give good information but still willing to pass the link juice.
    I find it kinda sad that you won't participate in a blog just because it uses nofollow. Have we webmasters become such a bunch of selfish and greedy snobs that we put SEO ahead of even our own user experience?

SitePoint Enthusiast Patricksia2007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your comments. I have learnt something on 'nofollow'. thanks!
    Step by Step Guide Setting up a proper online business
    Discover various Web Marketing Tips and Tricks
    Find out different internet business models to make money online
    Ways to work at home online without being scammed

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    I find it kinda sad that you won't participate in a blog just because it uses nofollow. Have we webmasters become such a bunch of selfish and greedy snobs that we put SEO ahead of even our own user experience?
    Hi stymiee. It is just like what the blog's owner did? those blogger have their own interest so I respect that. they said they were doing it because they wanted to cut spam. so myself have my own interest. when I comment I don't spam. so I look for blogs who appreciate no spam comment. I can't afford spending my time without getting any value. I don't have luxury of backlink like the big boys. so every minute count. so do you think that is selfish and greedy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meaninful comments on blog articles would win their author the appreciation of the blog readers. Whn you have such that means more people will visit your web site and if it is a blog, tehy would subscribe for your content.
    HostColor.com
    Colocation | Dedicated Servers | VPS Hosting
    Web hosting provider since 2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog commenting is a great way to build backlinks, if on a related, relevant one. It's a good source of backlinks if the blog is not using no follow attribute. it is advised not too comment too much per day because they are easy for the search engines to catch...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    I simply don't have time to randomly surf the net looking for blogs that I'd enjoy commenting on, plus there's the fact that no one might ever see my comment on some obscure blog so I'd be wasting my time since I'm looking for feedback and discussion, interaction. I struggle to keep up with the forums I'm a member of as it is

When I'm looking for links for SEO purposes though, I want to avoid nofollow don't I.

What you said is like saying to a bill poster, do your read the other posters on the wall before you stick yours on or are you just doing this to get your poster up everywhere you can? Well.. what do you think he'd say?

It's a job and completely separate from my 'user experience'.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMcClure View Post
    What you said is like saying to a bill poster, do your read the other posters on the wall before you stick yours on or are you just doing this to get your poster up everywhere you can? Well.. what do you think he'd say?
    There's a difference between bill posting and commenting on blogs though - or at least there is supposed to be. Blog comments are not designed for self promotion.

If a commentor's primary motivation is self interest, then the quality of the comments posted might suffer. The poster has an ulterior motive for posting. It's not true in every case (and maybe not yours since you like discussion and debate) but there's plenty of selfish commentors out there whose sole interest is promoting their own web sites.

I'd quite happily see links in blog comments removed entirely. It might encourage SEO's to devote their time to something more productive. It would also clean up a lot of the crap you see on many blogs. I know this will never happen but it amuses me to think of it anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hooperman View Post
    There's a difference between bill posting and commenting on blogs though - or at least there is supposed to be. Blog comments are not designed for self promotion.
    Yeah, it wasn't the best analogy.

The point I'm making though is that my 'user experience' and my job are two different things, I do both but rarely at the same time.

It's just unfortunate for bloggers that their medium is open to exploitation, I don't feel great about it but as I've said in a previous discussion, I get a link, they always approve my comments so they must be getting something out of it, everyone is happy. It's a compromise.

You could even argue that it's link bait in reverse.... They get more comments and the appearance of a popular thriving blog, which encourages more visitors, by allowing people to leave a link.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Blogging, in my opinion, adds to the knowledge of a visitor about any particular website. It can also be a traffic generator.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marketexpert View Post
    I have heard that they are mostly nofollow links. Is blog commenting still a good way to get backlinks?
    Well......links from blog commenting and forum postings are often no-follow and not crwaled by search engines and not considered as backlink by search engines but still they are valuable as they have enough power to divert traffic towards a website......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you comment:
    Read the blog First and it is related to your site or blog. And don't just write a comment for the sake of having a link back to your blog...

SitePoint Zealot theawristocrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good if they are dofollow ofcourse. even better if the post is related to your site.