SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do doorway pages work?

I have heard that manually created entry pages work well in the search engines. Had anyone tried this?

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're a great way to get you banned from them, actually.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends what you call a "doorway page". The 90s methods of creating pages for high ranking terms just to redirect to your unrelated site, or of serving different pages to search engines to stuff keywords then showing the normal site to visitors, are both ways to get penalized by search engines.

Manually creating pages of your site which target specific potential customers through focusing on the kinds of searches they'd do, and having these pages as human-friendly as search-friendly, in order to link into your site... that you can do successfully.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can create a doorway page that could, COULD increase your chances in getting ranked higher, because there are fewer words on that page. Fewer the words, while having the keywords there, increases the chances because, of course, your keywords are not as drowned out as what a regular homepage may do.

But, just know that many users don't like them. For me, as an example, if I go to a site, and I have to click again just to see the actual homepage, I may not do it.

Hey, we are a click happy society, and you will get many who are clicking over to your site, JUST to click. They are also bored. You want to immediately grab your visitors' attention!

So keep that in mind.

I'm not a fan of SEO, because it is, well, overrated, but if you do want to increase your chances, do a lot of short, keyword-enriched subpages (subdomains) instead, and update them a few times a month.