User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help! Major problem with my newish Macbook Pro

Hi guys,

I'm in dire need of some help!
    I've been experiencing a very major problem with my Macbook Pro which I only discovered today. Basically after 3 or 4 minutes of inactivity (when the power isn't plugged in) it completely turns it self off, without any prompt. I've just tried pulling the power chord out, and it switches itself off instantly. This is absolutely bizarre. I've never heard of this happening before.

The laptop is around 4 months old and has had 91 cycles - I'm guessing this could be a battery issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

James

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redhillccwebmas View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm in dire need of some help!
    I've been experiencing a very major problem with my Macbook Pro which I only discovered today. Basically after 3 or 4 minutes of inactivity (when the power isn't plugged in) it completely turns it self off, without any prompt. I've just tried pulling the power chord out, and it switches itself off instantly. This is absolutely bizarre. I've never heard of this happening before.

The laptop is around 4 months old and has had 91 cycles - I'm guessing this could be a battery issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

James
    Sorry I can't help you; I've never had that problem with my MacBook Pro. But if you don't get an answer here, try http://discussions.apple.com Most of my Mac-related questions get answered pretty quickly there, and you can also search for related threads. I think I have seen a lot of complaints relating to Mac's crashing, lapsing into sleep mode, or something like that.

Fortunately, your warranty should help you get it fixed if the problem's serious. Also, I don't know if you're aware of it - or if you live in an area where you can avail yourself of this feature - but there's a Mac store not far from my place that features a "Genius Bar." You can make appointments to talk to a "Mac Genius" one on one. The best time is early in the morning, before the store officially opens. (The last time I was there, I was the only customer in the store!)

Sorry I can't answer your question more directly.

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geosite View Post
    Fortunately, your warranty should help you get it fixed if the problem's serious. Also, I don't know if you're aware of it - or if you live in an area where you can avail yourself of this feature - but there's a Mac store not far from my place that features a "Genius Bar." You can make appointments to talk to a "Mac Genius" one on one. The best time is early in the morning, before the store officially opens. (The last time I was there, I was the only customer in the store!)
    I agree- usually with stuff like this I don't troubleshoot all too much; it sounds like it's some sort of hardware problem as opposed to something that you've done to cause it. The good thing about Apple is that you can bring it into a Genius Bar (or call up AppleCare and they'll ship you a box to ship your Mac back in) and they'll likely take a few minutes to look at it and then replace whatever's at fault. It's quick, easy, and usually quite free. Take a look at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for the replies - thankfully I work right by the Oxford St Apple Store, and have made add appointment with one of their techies tomorrow. I actually went in their last Friday and managed to get one of their team to look at it for a bit; their conclusion was that it was highly unlikely that it would be a battery problem, as their diagnostics tool said that the laptop could see the battery OK.

We'll see how it goes - I'll keep you updated