User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why Transitional?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • The tools I use emit it by default

1 7.69%
  • I want to use target="_blank"

6 46.15%
  • I don't want my client to invalidate the page because of e.g. a silly border="0"

0 0%
  • I don't like the way images in table cells get whitespace under them in Strict

1 7.69%
  • I just copy the doctype from a random page

0 0%
  • Other (please comment)

5 38.46%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Brown
    The company I am currently working for had no doctype at all, didn't validate and coded for IE only
    Heh, same here-- the pages started with <HEAD> : )

I considered using Transitional once, as it seemed that having PDF's open on the same window when they're not web pages didn't seem right. But, I was too anal to back down to Transitional, so I stayed with Strict and am still figuring out what to do with the pdf's... it's not like there's a back button and I never know WHAT will open the PDF's, is it Word? Adobe Reader? Open Office? But my browser tries anyway.

I'm almost thinking of trying out Gary's (kk45t or whatever it is) Javascript code-- it does use the window.open thing but it keeps links and whatnot working even without JS, so degrades well... but I really dunno how this is supposed to work accessibility-wise. Another place where opening a new window seems to make sense was when half-way through filling out a form, looking at a little popup with specific information while not losing what you've typed in. I got around this using Mike Cherim's Pop Map idea. Now instead of new windows, they're fake tool tips, with images! This keeps the focus on the input at hand, or label... new windows I think take the focus away which sucks if you are using Lynx or JAWS or something.

Most of the transisional doctypes I see on other sites are from people just getting started, probably with either wordpress or dreambeaver, or because they're using these "widget" thingies which always have weird code-- even if the rest of the page would validate.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually use XHTML 1.0 Strict (but let's not have the XHTML/HTML argument here, 'kay?).

However, the one time I've suggested using transitional was to use target - but not the standard '_blank' one, I needed to use
    Code:
    target='_top'
    The reason for this is that we needed to include an iframe to allow part of the content to be maintained elsewhere, and this iframe was to contain a link, and obviously clicking on that link would, under normal circumstances open up only in the small part of the page where the iframe was when of course we wanted it to act like a standard link and replace the whole page.

Yes, we could have used javascript, but that would have been less accessible: all of the users without javascript enabled would find the link in the iframe virtually useless because it would only open within a small part of the existing page.

The decision was therefore made to use the transitional doctype and the deprecated 'target' attribute as it was felt more important to provide the function to users without js than to maintain a strict DOCTYPE at the expense of non-js users.
    Jack Pickard | The Pickards

bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    I considered using Transitional once, as it seemed that having PDF's open on the same window when they're not web pages didn't seem right. But, I was too anal to back down to Transitional, so I stayed with Strict and am still figuring out what to do with the pdf's...
    The default settings of the PDF reader should be changed so that the external app is opened instead of being embedded in the browser... I'd suggest you complain to the vendor of the PDF reader you're using. Meanwhile you can probably change the settings.
    Simon Pieters

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone still use transitional? I actually never used it, even though at times it was soooooooo tempting.
    godaycare.com - Canadian daycare listings with reviews
    Parenting and Child care Forum - Canadian child care forum

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    SMF and WordPress both output target="_blank".
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraDC View Post
    Does anyone still use transitional? I actually never used it, even though at times it was soooooooo tempting.
    Nope. While I may be open to ideas and suggestions in real life, when it comes to HTML, I'm proud to be Stirct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cough ... http://www.godaycare.com/childcareforum

Code html:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL.... oh man...I needed that laugh. Hmmmm, I wonder how SMF would behave if I were to change that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL.... oh man...I needed that laugh. Hmmmm, I wonder how SMF would behave if I were to change that.
    It would behave fine, except your pages wouldn't validate if any [URL] bbCodes were used. There is a hack to change that, but it won't make a lick of difference to your visitors as the browser wont give a damn if you are using transitional or strict, they'll render the page identically anyway.

The template which controls your Doctype is in your index.template.php file.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will take a look at that on the weekend.

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    It would behave fine, except your pages wouldn't validate if any [URL] bbCodes were used. There is a hack to change that, but it won't make a lick of difference to your visitors as the browser wont give a damn if you are using transitional or strict, they'll render the page identically anyway.

The template which controls your Doctype is in your index.template.php file.
    Not entirely true Ryan, I've noticed subtle differences in the rendering of a page using transitional and one using strict - Almost Standards mode.
    I've seen the differences personally and had to work around them. Not a large difference but they're not identical

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    Not entirely true Ryan, I've noticed subtle differences in the rendering of a page using transitional and one using strict
    Interesting, I haven't noticed any differences before.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you have table cells that contain nothing but an image, you probably won't notice.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane