User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

problems installing mySQL - Patrick Lenz's ROR book

I've been following Patrick Lenz's ROR Sitepoint book but I'm stuck installing mySQL on my MacBook Pro. I've downloaded mysql-5.0.51a-osx10.4-i686.dmg from the mySQL site. Couldn't find a standard package so I ended up with a community package.

After download I install the package and it says installation has been successful, but nothing happens. No symbol on the desktop. When I type sudo /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe5 in a terminal window, I get the following response:

sudo: /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe5: command not found

I've successfully followed the book up to this point, installing ruby and rails without any problems. But now I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look for mysqld and mysqld_safe (OS X has locate doesn't it?). That may not be where it was installed to.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try /usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysqld that's where it's installed for me on Leopard, using the standard Tiger installer.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MrCarrot. That found it. Now I'm stuck on the next step in the book. I enter this command: ps -ax | grep mysql and get the following results:

2318 ?? 0:00.04 /bin/sh /usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysqld
    2333 ?? 0:00.58 /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld --basedir=/usr/local/mysql --datadir=/usr/local/mysql/data --user=mysql --pid-file=/usr/local/mysql/data/Macintosh.local.pid
    2772 ttys000 0:00.00 grep mysql

But then I type mysql5 and I get a 'command not found' error.

The real problem here is that I don't understand a damn thing. I can't even get to the part where ROR applications cause me problems. I don't know what's running and what isn't. Help!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ps -ax lists all processes running on your mac, | grep mysql searches the output from this for any lines that contain 'mysql'. You're just checking that the mysql server has started.

If the mysql folder isn't in your path you'll have to run sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql instead of just: mysql5