SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast JazKillingJoke's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it safe to write your email in your website?

Hi

I am working on a little site and on my contact page I have the following:
    You can contact me at "Myemailhere@somedomain.com".
    Is that safe? Can a spider harvest it and spam me?
    If it's not correct what shall I do?

Thanks a lot

Patrick

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

email address

Safe? It depends on how much SPAM you want to deal with. The bot that harvests the email address will most likely not use it to SPAM you. The addresses are gathered and distributed to others that will. This thread should give you a few ideas. http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528476

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The only way of providing a way for people to email you from your site without providing your email address is to use a form and add the email address when converting the form content into an email after the form is submitted. You can get spam submitted through the form but can apply filtering to the form to block it and change the filtering if the spammers start getting past the existing filter.

If you do place your address in the page then to start with you make it difficult for those without a separate email program to email you (those at work, internet cafes, libraries, schools etc). Also no matter how you try to make it hard for the spammers to read your email address while still making it usable for at least some visitors, the spammers will eventually be able to read whatever format you use to hide it and then they have your email address and nothing you can do will ever stop them from having it. Also the harder you make it for the spammers the larger the portion of your real audience who also will be unable to read the address.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just recently updated the email addresses to use URL Encoding on one of my sites.

The spam has reduced to a dribble.....how long that will last is anyones guess!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i think my best advise is that, you just create a contact form box on your website to automatically handle all e-mails. Placing it on your website can create alot of spam for you once its gets out on the public if you are running a website with tons of visitors.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjk View Post
    I've just recently updated the email addresses to use URL Encoding on one of my sites.

The spam has reduced to a dribble.....how long that will last is anyones guess!

Looks like a good idea if it works. I wonder though, are legitimate emails getting through?
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Looks like a good idea if it works. I wonder though, are legitimate emails getting through?
    Legitimate emails still get through without problems.

I read somewhere that the Character Entities method works because spam bots generally (not all though) cannot easily identify the email address. The browser, however, renders the HTML normally so all works as it should for human users and any server side scripting runs as usual.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also used e-mail encoders. Though I doubt they block eveything, I've seen much less spam in my inbox since I encoded instances of my e-mail address.

Link here--> email encode

Note that you only use this on the code side, because obviously it would make it unreadable.
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any form of encoding of email addresses in the web page will eventually be read by the spambots. At that point you will need to discard that email address and get a new one. Only by adding the email address afterwards such as by using a contact form can you ensure that the spammers will never get your address from your page.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had my e-mails listed on my site's contact page 5 years ago (i.e. sales, webmaster, feedback, etc). 3 years ago I have removed all e-mail adresses from the site and used forms and captchas since 2006.

To this day I still receive spam (100 percent, none legit) adressed to these old e-mail adresses, I only know about it since I use a "catch-all" folder.

With forms and captchas, spam has been reduced to zero.

So to answer your question, writing your e-mail adress on your website or social network page is not recommended, potentially dangerous and time consuming for the life of your website.

It is also good measure to reply to strangers from alternate e-mail adresses (not from yourname@yoursite.com webmail or e-mail component), otherwise you'll be spammed again.

SitePoint Enthusiast JazKillingJoke's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help

Hi

Thanks so much for the help everybody, I like the idea of creating a contact form but I will look at URL encoding too.

Thanks again

Patrick

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tell website owners to never place their email address on the website because it invites spam.

The best method is to use a form with a script such as a php mail script to send you the content of the form. That way, your email address is not displayed ever. To foil the bots, you can add in a captcha function on the form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one issue with only using a form is that actual customers don't know what your e-mail address is. Especially when dealing with PDAs, smartphones, etc., having a simple e-mail address to send to is much easier than navigating through a webform.
    M Blaze Miskulin
    President
    Geek Niche Web Hosting

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All spammers will aggree that

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeMiskulin View Post
    having a simple e-mail address to send to is much easier than navigating through a webform.
    It makes it so much easier for them to send you gazillions of spam emails.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    All spammers will aggree that

It makes it so much easier for them to send you gazillions of spam emails.
    I currently have 4 e-mail addresses posted on my company site--in plain text for all the world to see. They've been displayed for over 2-1/2 years now. Between Spam Assassin and Thunderbird virtually all the spam is filtered out. On average, I see about 5-10 spam messages a week*. The higher number is when all 4 get hit at once by a single round of spam.

However, my clients can just use their e-mail program to write me whenever they want and not have to go through filling out a webform and navigating a captcha.

*I just checked my trash folder. 95 messages in the last 26 days. 43 of those are legit. So, 52 spams in 26 days. An average of .5 spams per address per day. Of the 52 spams, Thunderbird failed to catch 5 of them. So, that drops it down to less than .05 spams per day per account that I actually have to deal with.

Somehow I think I can handle the strain.
    M Blaze Miskulin
    President
    Geek Niche Web Hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the contact form. I use contact forms a lot.

Make a database to store your messages in the database rather than email. It's just as good. This will stop you being spammed!

Use captcha.

There are so many ways to stop yourself being spammed.

One easy solution is don't have a contact form/email at all!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At least with a form you can change the form if spam starts getting through and block it again. With an email address, once the spammer gets it there is nothing you can do.

There are also lots of people who can use a contact form but who don't have access to an email program to be able to use a separate email address (internet cafes, libraries, many workplaces etc).

Having some way for your visitors to contact you gives authority to your web site because they know who they are dealing with. If you don't have an email address or contact form then the alternatives are a phone number and/or street address.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my emails published on my website but I am thinking of going only to forms to help with the spam. If the emails are published they will end up being harvested. If you write forms to use for your contact make sure they are secure.

John
    Great Plains Web Hosting
    Providing Small Business Solutions
    www.greatplainswebhosting.com

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At some point, I think you have to stop displaying the email address. It has to do with the scale. For example, imagine if Yahoo displayed the address of their webmaster on the homepage.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about having the user enter their email address, then emailing them a replyable message with a unique address? (Say, form@example.com) Then you can pipe the email through a script which uses the given addresses as a whitelist, and forwards it to your inbox. It's complicated, but more accessible than a captcha, more flexible than a form, and it doesn't involve listing your email address on your site. All you need beyond that is a solid disclaimer and some coding.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmmmmmmmmm........
    Latest Songs , wallpapers etc http://www.apnayarana.com
    Cheapest web solutions etc http://www.ranatechnologies.com

http://www.friendswebhosting.com

SitePoint Addict silentcollision's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by apnayarana.com View Post
    hmmmmmmmmmm........
    Informative post.

Personally from both a user and a developer perspective, I prefer the form. Spam can be prevented very well, and I don't have to open up my email app separately to send the mail.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just remember that those using a library computer, internet cafe, many browseing from work etc will not have access to an email program that they can use with an email address in the page itself. At best they would have to copy the address and paste it into a webpail page. At worst they will not be able to use it at all.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    Just remember that those using a library computer, internet cafe, many browseing from work etc will not have access to an email program that they can use with an email address in the page itself. At best they would have to copy the address and paste it into a webpail page. At worst they will not be able to use it at all.
    informative
    Latest Songs , wallpapers etc http://www.apnayarana.com
    Cheapest web solutions etc http://www.ranatechnologies.com

http://www.friendswebhosting.com

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making your e-mail public is simply... lazy. What benefit it has? Trust? Accessiblity? I don't think so.

Stephen has already said it, I will repeat. You lose all control over who can email you the minute you make your e-mail public. With a contact form, you have all the control. SPAM began to flood your inbox? Add some SPAM protection to your form. It doesn't have to be captcha. There are much simpler methods that your genuine visitors don't even see. Personally I use captcha only as the last resort, and in fact, I'm yet to use it.

Contact form makes it easier for your clients to contact you, and it keeps you safer from the SPAM and other malicious creatures (such as stalkers or whatever).

Stay safe, use a contact form!
    Saul